Razer Diamondback Gaming Mouse, Hands On: High-End For The Ambidextrous

Status
Not open for further replies.

DbD2

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
As a lefty I used to have one of the original diamondback's (1600dpi) and one of the mid gen ones (3600dpi or something?). They were one of the few lefty mice available back in the day.

The actual mouse is great for fingertip mouse users if you like your shooters (back then it was ut2004 :) ), but the main buttons tend to wear out a bit quickly (did on both my previous ones), and the side buttons are both fiddly to use and a bit easy to press accidentally.

Not sure I'd buy another one. For comparison currently got a Mionix Avior 8200 which is quite nice but the sensor is very sensitive to dust and the surface which forced me put away my cloth mat, and to get out an old metal razer exactmat to get consistent performance. Hence not sure I'd get another one of them either.

Silent Ricochet

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
I really hope they've addressed reliability issues with these mice. My first Diamondback mouse replaced my 7 year old Logitech mx518 that I used every day without fault. A year after I bought the Diamondback, the side button caved in. I also had to tape the bottom of the mouse slightly to get the laser sensor to read correctly on my completely normal, black mouse pad the first day I bought it. I sent out for a replacement and received a second mouse (2013 edition), which, again, a year or so after every day use, the side button caved in. At least the sensor worked.

Shame. I really liked the software and the comfort of these mice, even if they do feel a little cheap. I'll be hard pressed to buy another Razer product again because of this experience.

HyperMatrix

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
I'm sorry...but Razer mice are terrible. I've bought 4 of them. Most recently the Chroma Mamba, and the Ouroboros. Along with the Manticore mousepad and their firefly mouse pad. Tracking on it is odd. Feels better at 125Hz than it does at 1000Hz. The mouse feels like it has input lag compared to my RAT9. They do a rather poor implementation of the Philips Twin-Eye. If you want to see what that sensor is capable of, definitely try out the RAT 7, RAT 9, or RAT Pro X. Mad Catz may be overpriced, but they make a damn good product. My only issue had been that the sensors would get weak and lose sensitivity over time. And the new RAT Pro X has $30 swappable sensors, so you don't need to buy a whole new mouse, and you can easily upgrade to the latest sensor technology. Such an amazing idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.