Razer Edge Tablet Pre-Orders Finally Begin Next Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

basketcase87

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]I was excited until I seen the specs and the price.Dual core?1366 x 720?gt 640m le?For that price??? Really?Sony has a 20" multi touch vaio all in one tablet style pc with same specs minus the gpu for $959. How does razor justify the price??http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6883117102And people complain about the price of nvidia's titan. ???[/citation]The Razer tablet is targeted to gamers so "minus the gpu" is kind of a deal-breaker for the target audience.

G

Money better spent on upgrading my GTX 580 3gb to a 6GB Nvidia Titan. Gaming at 2560 x 1600. My Galaxy Note has a higher res 1280 x 800.

it was an awesome idea, but I fail to see how a crowd sourced build could fail to include a microSD slot, especially in the base modle with only 64GB of harddrive space (something like 30GB left after windows install). they really expect us to only have 3 -5 games on that thing for a $1000 investment?

And then there's always the price, at those prices, I'd rather buy a surface pro and continue to game on my desktop. the occasional gaming experience on a tablet isn't nice enough to warrant $1300-1500 (yes, I consider only the pro modle's bigger harddrive viable as a real gaming tablet). as for the hardcore mobile gamer, the thing doesn't have enough battery life to actually be mobile, so really, why bother?

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
[citation][nom]basketcase87[/nom]The Razer tablet is targeted to gamers so "minus the gpu" is kind of a deal-breaker for the target audience.[/citation]

Well, if ya want to get technical, the Sony vaio does have a gpu, it's just an intel HD4000, which is about half the speed of the gpu in this tablet, if you even want to call the gt 640m LE a Gaming GPU. I think it would be fair to state that if they added a gt 640m Le to the Sony Vaio it would only bump the price up to $100 more on the high side.. I think the small screen would have compensated for the cost of the gpu. For that price it should have no less then a gtx 660m.

Also, I'd like to send a comment to Sony. If you put a gtx 660m in your all in one tablet pc and price it under $1500 people will be all over it like flies on #@$#. Gauranteed.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Oh, one last thing, I just want to make it clear that I do have the money and was planning on buying this thing, but I didn't think it would be this much, and I expected it to have decent specs. Even if it had horrible battery life, say an hour gaming, and it had to be plugged in. I'd rather have that then super high price, and crappy specs. This thing is basically an underpowered low res surface pro with an entry level gpu. Hardly a gaming device. Really dissapointed

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]x768 resoltuion screen = no go. Sorry my cell phone does that, if you cant do at least 1280x1024, I don't care to use your device.[/citation]

If they did any higher the games wouldnt even be able to run. Its a tablet, they cant fit a beefy gpu in there.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
The pricing is absolutely crap. Come on, how can you justify that price for a tablet with mediocre hardware? I hope no one buys this crap so they'll know.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
These guys need to skip the sports section and go to the financial pages. Economy sucks, people out of jobs... and they come up with some pricing that makes even Apple envious; dream on guys !

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Pricing justification: PC gaming in tablet form factor. The M$ Surface is coming out with similar costs and specs minus the GPU.

Nothing else on the market is capable of what this can do at its size.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
For those saying it's overpriced, guess what? You're probably not the target audience. They know this doesn't have a massive market (not many people want to carry around a 2-pound tablet for just an hour or two of gaming) so they need to increase the price to actually turn a profit at the end of the day.

There's only so much you can cram into this form factor before you run into thermal and power ceilings. The i5 and i7 models both run 17 watt chips so they get the same battery life between the normal and Pro models. The GT 640m LE only pulls around 20 watts under load. The GTX 660m some of you are seemingly demanding pulls 75 watts. That would rip through battery life and be near impossible to cool when sandwiched behind the LCD and next to the CPU.

It will likely be another 2 years until Intel and Nvidia's performance/power consumption curves rise enough to make a device like this feasible as a real portable PC gaming solution. Until then I still applaud Razer for taking a shot at making a device like this. Would I be buying one of these? No, at least not this first-gen model. Do I appreciate the effort they put into making mainstream PC gaming viable in the tablet form factor? Absolutely.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Plan on buying either this or the Surface Pro. Leaning towards the PRO but I would like that extra GPU power. Final decision hinges on the Battery. Shame the keyboard dock is coming so late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS