Razer Forge TV: The Steam Machine And Android Console We've Been Waiting For?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airborn824

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Actually the Wii dominated the living room for a long time. I think this is a good idea and a good direction I personally would not buy it because i do not trust RAZER quality control. But as for the idea, they push the envelope and i hope other quality companies will follow.

CraigN

Distinguished
Actually the Wii dominated the living room for a long time. I think this is a good idea and a good direction I personally would not buy it because i do not trust RAZER quality control. But as for the idea, they push the envelope and i hope other quality companies will follow.

Surprisingly, most of their higher end products tend to actually be high quality. I think if I had to pick any of them to be the "weakest" department, I'd say their headsets for a variety of reasons. My Tiamat 7.1 has a crappy mic, my friend had to RMA his Kraken 7.1. However my Blackwidow and Naga Epic have been invincible. I'm excited to see what they do with this, because like you said, they definitely push the envelope, even if they aren't successful.

airborn824

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

Surprisingly, most of their higher end products tend to actually be high quality. I think if I had to pick any of them to be the "weakest" department, I'd say their headsets for a variety of reasons. My Tiamat 7.1 has a crappy mic, my friend had to RMA his Kraken 7.1. However my Blackwidow and Naga Epic have been invincible. I'm excited to see what they do with this, because like you said, they definitely push the envelope, even if they aren't successful.

Very interesting, as i work part time at Best Buy and see a lot of warranty returns on the keyboards and mice. I myself was give and OUraboras , or how ever it is spelled, and i have had nothing but issues from it. Seveal people i know at both jobs have switched back to Logitech and eve now Duuky. Hope you continue good luck with Razer and that they keep pushing the PC gaming market to new heights with Valve.

CraigN

Distinguished
Good to know. Been curious about what returns are like. I feel like they have some products they build very durably, and then their less sold products definitely have some quality control issues. So I suppose I would amend my statement to say they have *some* high quality products, but uneven quality control. I hear very few complaints about Deathadders, Nagas and BlackWidows.

rocktober

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
I applaud the effort, but it's already possible to stream PC games at 1080p with Amazon FireTV and the Limelight app. Xbox controllers can plug into the FireTV and work great. You just need a PC with an Nvidia card.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Here I was hoping for a snapdragon 810 and twice the ram. 805 isn't a slouch though. It runs on my OpO like a scalded dog. The low ammount of onboard troubles me though. More because larger storage means more men chips, and more channels, which means a lot more speed from The storage.

Very interesting stuff here. Definitely truth in the points that people don't want to spend extra money on computers for every room so streaming it around can be a great solution. And these are surprisingly low prices compared to what Razer usually charges for their hardware.

I echo Craig in that my Orbweaver has been excellent for over a year. But I also hear enough of other devices failing that I can't discount Airborne either. I wouldn't mind trying a Razer mouse to experiment with Synapse's cross-device features, but I've been die-hard Logitech mice for years and would have trouble adjusting to another mouse shape.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
I trust their mouse and mouse pads. Not so much the KB. Less on their headsets and even less on others.

Logitech KBs are the best though. I have been abusing mine for 3 years until some of keys started to fail on me due to "sticky" substances landing inbetween the keys.,

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I still find very few reasons to get an Android -console. I guess the streaming aspect could be great for local mp (but I have a Wii U for that).

SteamOS is starting to piss me off with the time it's taking in getting to market.

No Way

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
This doesn't do the most important thing SteamOS promises. SteamOS will play Steam linux games. THAT's what we need. My desktop has Windows for one reason. I can do everything other than gaming in the browser, making the OS irrelevant. The streaming feature is a nice aside, but I personally haven't had any input into my TV except for a computer for 3-4 years. ChromeOS was a disappointment due to it not being able to be user installed. SteamOS still looks like it could be revolutionary, Razor Forge, not so much.

Engineer123

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
99 bucks Hardware isn't capable of streamin 1080p PC games without heavier grafix and Audio artefacts - even the ZBox Pico (199 $) cannot stream Steam games in a good way.

Moreover: Valve will attack at GDC 2015, and quite hefty with a big Steam Machine presence as well as being one of the Diamond Partners. So no need to write down Valve like the article does, they might be slow, but there is something big incoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.