Razer Leads OSVR Initiative To Provide Open Standard For Virtual Reality: But What About Oculus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I'm all for competition and more choice in order to drive innovation ad lower prices, but when you look at the hardware aspect of all these other "me too's" it is clear that they are simply just releasing something to have a presence in the market, and not advance it. A 1080p screen most definitely does not cut it. Oculus knows this, and have put off release until the hardware can meet their expectations. The very first thing noticed when using my DK2 was the screen door effect from too low of pixel density that 5" 1080p screens have when they sit an inch off your eyeball. There is no fine detail in textures, and the large pixels are a distraction. Being a dev kit, I don't knock it at all and their new prototype after DK2 does have a higher res screen. But all of these other companies seem to think users associate 1080p with high def and therefore it must look good. Perhaps its "good enough" for console users (such as the Morpheus) but for anyone that is accustom to viewing or playing on a PC monitor is going to be disappointed. And I guess that is my point, For a new emerging market, you have a company ,Oculus, that knows not only the importance, but the absolute necessity of making a great first impression to consumers in order for VR to thrive and have delayed release in order to do so. Now we are getting company after company releasing "good enough" hardware, that can use 1080p screens and some marketing fluff to be a "me too" which does nothing good for the consumer or the market.

I'm all for the software aspect though and creating open platforms.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
after having razer products, and everyone failing a few months after i got it, with my mouse being the exception and lasting 6 months on average... i will never trust razor for anything that is mission critical... as a gamer, that means my monitor.

CobraMatte

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
Seems while Oculus is taking their time to make a quality product there is a vacuum in the VR market and everyone wants to cash in. Competition is good. I just don't like to see it cheapen the idea of what VR HMDs can be.

Champion_hero

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
I guess the beauty of this being modular though, is that there is 'technically' no reason you couldn't improve the screen and adapt the software to be better. What Razer are offering here is a 'base model' per se. An idea. Something to get you started without costing an arm & a leg.

Phones already have 1440p screens, so I can't see why someone with the knowledge/willpower couldn't simply buy a "Replacement" phone screen, stick it in this and mod the software to work it with. Afterall, OR uses a Note 3 screen if I'm not mistaken...

trevor_chdwck

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2015
I would expect it to use FreeSync instead of GSync, given it's opensource basis. Also, @ universal remonster, while the hardware is a me too, what your missing is the fact that the entire design is open source and modular, they are creating a starting point that could easily change as new hardware becomes available and instead of waiting for "the company" to implement it and release it, anyone can implement it and that improvement is then shared with the community. This agility is partially why Android took off so well, the price being the other point. Razer has potentially unveiled the end of Oculus as we know it...

Status
Not open for further replies.