Razer Mechanical Keyboards Improved in BlackWidow Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Why do they always have to put the 'Glowing Razer logo' on their products? I understand its their logo, but it looks so childish. I hope you can turn it off the like their mice, while still allowing the keys to be backlit. I will probably buy the tournament edition regardless, I have been waiting for an affordable and attractive backlit mechanical keyboard. Hopefully it works as well as their mice!

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Still the best keyboards ever made were from IBM.

The old IBM PS/2 101 keyboard was sturdy, great typing and 100 times better then these new keyboards. I have 2 that are over 20 years and still are as great as day 1.

burns11

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I have to agree with the glowing logo: don't need it, don't want it. Maybe if you were from the Isle of Man it would make you feel warm inside, but I'd rather not.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]Still the best keyboards ever made were from IBM. The old IBM PS/2 101 keyboard was sturdy, great typing and 100 times better then these new keyboards. I have 2 that are over 20 years and still are as great as day 1.[/citation]

If you want a modern offering check out a Unicomp keyboard. They're made with the same equipment and are of similar quality. I've got a Unicomp Spacesaver 104 that I"ve had for a year and it still feels like the day I bought it. even the caps aren't shiny yet.

[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]Still the best keyboards ever made were from IBM. The old IBM PS/2 101 keyboard was sturdy, great typing and 100 times better then these new keyboards. I have 2 that are over 20 years and still are as great as day 1.[/citation]

They are but they are also the old beige and normally PS/2 which is slowly dissapearing from new motherboards (my P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 does not have any). Of course you could use a PS/2 to USB.

As for sturdy, I can atest that the Corsair Vengance series keyboards are very sturdy, considering it has an aluminum bezel. Plus it has Cherry MX Reds which have been rated as the best switches.

Typing != gaming use. I would agree the buckling spring switches are the best for typing, but typically gaming requires much faster switch resets. I'm suprised Razer hasn't made a MX Red/Black board yet; those are much better for gaming than MX Blue/Brown IMO.

roadrunner343

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]They are but they are also the old beige and normally PS/2 which is slowly dissapearing from new motherboards (my P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 does not have any). Of course you could use a PS/2 to USB.As for sturdy, I can atest that the Corsair Vengance series keyboards are very sturdy, considering it has an aluminum bezel. Plus it has Cherry MX Reds which have been rated as the best switches.[/citation]

I don't know who "rated" the reds the best switches, but take it with a grain of salt. I hated reds, blues were too loud, and blacks were too stiff for me. I love my browns. I am not saying you are wrong in your opinion (That red's are the best for you) but to anyone looking to buy a new mechanical keyboard, know that there is a large amount of personal preference involved, so make an attempt to try them out before purchasing.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom] I can atest that the Corsair Vengance series keyboards are very sturdy, considering it has an aluminum bezel. Plus it has Cherry MX Reds which have been rated as the best switches.[/citation]

I think there's a reason why MX Reds are so rare: only a minority of people prefer them over Blacks.

It really comes down to personal preference.
I love the MX Blacks in my keyboard for fps gaming, but they are abysmal for typing.
Anyone who buys a mechanical keyboard not just for fps gaming but also for typing should look at MX Blues or Browns.

btw: I like the Corsair's design, but I couldn't live with the knowledge that they only made the "main" keys mechanical and left the function and extra keys with cheap membranes.

NightbladeXX

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
btw: I like the Corsair's design, but I couldn't live with the knowledge that they only made the "main" keys mechanical and left the function and extra keys with cheap membranes.

ya i agree seems cheap on Corsair's part to me

I hope Razer improved the build quality on the new 2013 boards as my Ultimate seems rather chinsy for the $130 I spent on it

damn thing is bowed up in the middle a good 1/8 of inch+ and ive had to replace a few keys that were sticking and ive owned it for less than a year

burns11

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]fb39ca4[/nom]Wait so if you were on a planet with 50x the gravity of earth the keys would fall down themselves?[/citation]

The "50g" should actually be "50gf" for gram-force, one gram-force is the force exerted by one gram at standard Earth gravity. So on a planet with 50x Earth gravity it would take one gram to depress the keys.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]roadrunner343[/nom]I don't know who "rated" the reds the best switches, but take it with a grain of salt. I hated reds, blues were too loud, and blacks were too stiff for me. I love my browns. I am not saying you are wrong in your opinion (That red's are the best for you) but to anyone looking to buy a new mechanical keyboard, know that there is a large amount of personal preference involved, so make an attempt to try them out before purchasing.[/citation]

I like the blacks, but I have big hands so I think I don't notice the supposed stiffness. You just gotta apply more force.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]fb39ca4[/nom]Wait so if you were on a planet with 50x the gravity of earth the keys would fall down themselves?[/citation]
Tell me when you get there.

Ning3n

Honorable
May 12, 2013
Razer productss are junk. I've spent over $200 on their garbage and it has all failed just outside of their warranty periods.Razer Tarantula: 5 Keys died after 14 monthsRazer DeathAdder: Wire failed internally after 18 monthsRazer Onza: Right trigger works intermittently and Right analog stick makes input without being touched (and i never used the danged stick either): 8 monthssRazer Blackwidow (first gen): S key is double typing at random and other keys take 2-3 presses to work. 14 months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.