Razer Switchblade Powered by Atom Z690

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
the Switchblade is capable of playing a wide range of games including StarCraft 2, Quake Live, Left 4 Dead 2, World of Warcraft, AION and others.

At a blazing average FPS of 12! If this company really wanted a portable gaming machine they should have made a fusion based system, or waited for Kal-El / win8.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Z960 or Z690? Come on, Toms...

Anyways. I still can't see the point in not using an AMD C-50 (or an E-350) in this machine since it's MUCH more powerful.

Just throw one of those in there (still don't need a heatsink at 9 W), a snap-on battery pack to the bottom, and you have a much more capable device.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I definitively like the adaptive keyboard.It's like the ikey infinity concept.(Each key can be changed into symbols,icons etc.).Very cool and I am quite interested.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
I'd rather be Robocop, feeling as cool as an 80's Swede, with a desktop PC powered by a UPS in my backpack, playing games on a touchscreen attached to my wrist! (I saw this guy in Bali) ;-)

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
mobile handheld PC gaming
No, thank you.
Even iOS/Android games are better entertainment than PC games on a 7" display with horrible controls.

Why would you buy this thing unless you are a hopeless WoW addict?
A Nintendo 3DS is cheaper, more portable and actually has controls and games designed for handheld gaming.

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
13% better than previous Atom? really? That is somehow supposed to provide adequate processing power for "desktop-style PC Gaming"?

Don't get me wrong though. I love the idea of the "tactile Response" keyboard, providing that they use it right. It could really reduce the amount of surface area required to get a good gaming experience, provided they use it well.

The Atom might be sufficient for some very GPU intensive gaming, but there is no way that they will be able to run Starcraft II fluently on an Atom CPU.

Pop an E-350, or a low TDP llano and this would look great.

Yeah I'm laughing pretty hard here. Atom is perfectly fine for ultra lightweight devices, but gaming is something it completely sucks at. Should of used one of the AMD E series APU's. Their graphics system is sufficient to play games at the resolutions this device will be using.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]Yeah I'm laughing pretty hard here. Atom is perfectly fine for ultra lightweight devices, but gaming is something it completely sucks at. Should of used one of the AMD E series APU's. Their graphics system is sufficient to play games at the resolutions this device will be using.[/citation]
I checked at Passmark.Although the CPU (1.7 Ghz Atom Z690) isn't listed there (the Intel Atom Z670 @ 1.50GHz is there with a score of 294)the Z690 should perform at a level of about 333 in the Passmark score,The AMD E-240 has a score of 358 and the E-350 has a Passmark score of 731.
The AMD C-50 has a Passmark score of 453 and the C-30 a score of 231.
It's closest to the E-240 in terms of performance according to the Passmark scores.
Probably TDP,especially cooling and power constraints limit it from using the much beefier AMD E-350 CPU .However it does apparently use ATI graphics don't know as of yet which graphics chip though but probably a pretty decent low powered version.

I suggest you read up on what an APU is. I'm not recommending it for the CPU potential but for the fact that the built in GPU is miles ahead of an IGA. If their using an Atom they are going to have to also use a discrete low-power GPU, if they used an AMD APU they wouldn't need to use a discrete GPU in their low power device.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]I suggest you read up on what an APU is. I'm not recommending it for the CPU potential but for the fact that the built in GPU is miles ahead of an IGA. If their using an Atom they are going to have to also use a discrete low-power GPU, if they used an AMD APU they wouldn't need to use a discrete GPU in their low power device.[/citation]Yes, I already know about AMD's APU's.It's their choice as to why they decided on a Intel Atom.The E-240 or the C-50 would have been a good alternative.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
"This guy [Razer CEO] could sell me air, and I would buy it."

Credit to a YT commenter I saw a couple months back when I saw this video, still makes me laugh so hard because the CEO is so serious and could sell me anything ;)

But in all seriousness, I find it funny when people make fun of the Atom CPU because they obviously don't know what it can really do. Yes it's not in the same class as a desktop/laptop CPU, but if you pair an Atom CPU with decent onboard video, you can run a game at lower resolutions, low-medium texture settings and have a framerate that makes the game playable. Also, for a 7" screen, the max resolution is going to be about 1024x600, if it's 16/9 aspect ratio.

So, I am holding all my judgements till it's actually released :) You know Razer is going to make sure that most games are going to run on this thing :)

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Saw Switchblade on Razer website long time ago and wondered what people will think of it... thanks, these comments give me an idea =) Don't know what to make of this device, myself... I won't underestimate Atom, I beat Morrowind on almost maxed out settings on my 900MHz Celeron powered netbook, and that's about equal to 1.6 GHz Atom. So a better Atom could probably play all these games that they claim it will play, in low resolution (who cares, it's a 7'' screen!) and low-average detail. However, I don't see the use of such a device... I'd rather get a tablet if I want to entertain myself on the go (Transformer), and spend the remaining money (Transformer is $500, and the Switchblade will cost more, since it has SSD and stuff....) to upgrade my desktop, where I can play all these games maxed out @ 1080p. Still, I'm sure the product will find its audience...

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I don't think Razer understands PC gamers despite working with them for so many years. The appeal of gaming on a PC is sitting at a desk with a keyboard, mouse, large monitor, and booming speakers. The Switchblade essentially turns all of this on its head and delivers a device with a tiny screen, keyboard with small keys, and a touchscreen for a mouse.

If I want to game on the go, I would buy a PSP or Nintendo DS with games that were specifically designed for that platform. Why I would be this large device with the ambitious attempt to emulate PC gaming is beyond me.

flipt

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
I think it is neat, but it will come down to price and functionality. Razer is not known to release low cost products and I cannot imagine this device costing less than $900. At that price point or even $200 dollars cheaper in the $700 range, they are competing with low cost notebooks and tablets like the iPad. I wish them luck, but I have serious doubts about how successful this device really will be.

As a last thought, I personally am not sure that I would trust Razer to release a bug free product and their customer support has been it or miss.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

Don't worry. At a resolution of 480x320, anything is possible.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Seems to me with a screen that small, that your left hand could obscure the screen a bit. I could be wrong, I wish they showed video of someone while they were playing it. I like that they are pushing the boundaries here but it just seems that there are better alternatives right now.

superkillrobot

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
The company also added that key Chinese independent software vendors such as Tencent and ChangYou have pledged to support game optimization for the Switchblade User Interface.

This is the most important part of this article. If the OS is optimized for gaming, the hardware requirements will be far lower, that's how consoles get away with with running current gen games at 1080p at stable framrates, with hardware 5-6 years old.

chuckdarwin

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Razer is seriously misguided here. Why are they flogging the Atom horse when current-gen tablets can play Unreal Engine-based games at high resolutions and good framerates without breaking a sweat? With my iPad2 in airplane mode, I literally played 3D games for 3 hours straight and only used 13% of the battery charge. Atom is lightyears behind the Cortex/A8 and Tegra 2 in energy consumption ~1 v vs. 6-8 volts), and any dedicated graphics chip they solder to the board in order for it to perform credibly in 3D graphics is only going to make matters worse. Razer had better sell this with a very long extension cord.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Hate to break it to you superkillrobot. But the list of games that play at 1080 on all consoles can be counted on both your hands. Everything els eruns 720 or less. Even gta4 couldn't run smoothly at 720p.

superkillrobot

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]BulkZerker[/nom]Hate to break it to you superkillrobot. But the list of games that play at 1080 on all consoles can be counted on both your hands. Everything els eruns 720 or less. Even gta4 couldn't run smoothly at 720p.[/citation]

There's probably more than that, but I won't argue. However, it doesn't change the fact that it wouldn't take much hardware to run games at a console quality assuming they have an optimized os. Which will probably be what they are aiming for, as they would have to assume an enthusiast will be using top of the line hardware and not have any need for such a device.

bombat1994

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
might i add that if i bought one of these i would be playing , css, dota, starcraft, lol and tf2. i am sure people would agree with me that these games arent terribly demanding

Status
Not open for further replies.