Razer Taking Pre-Orders for Blade Gaming Laptop Within Days

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bvsbutthd101

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]The price is not that outrageous. The better chassis and touchpad-gimmick are probably worth the $500 you pay more compared to a equivalent Alienware, Asus or whatever. Weight and battery life also matter.I still don't understand the appeal of gaming laptops though. Do all those graphics details really matter on a 15-17"laptop display?[/citation]

This wasn't meant for "joe nate"
re-posting to clarify

Here's something for you to do. Go to www.cyberpowerpc.com or www.ibuypower.com and built a laptop for $2800 dollars. Comment back on this and tells the specs on it. I guarantee you the hardware on the laptop you built will blow this laptop away.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
That laptop is neat looking, but I would rather go with a somewhat bulkier laptop with far better specs for the same price than with that. But yeah, it is not overpriced in the same way as Apple's products are, as pointed out by max-power.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I wonder how they plan to dissipate all that heat from the i7 processor... I love my m14x but even that heats up like crazy...

Play a game like AION on this Razer laptop, and your fingers are going to cook like sausages...

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
lol it hilarious to see the razer fanboys defending this product to death even though they hate apple.

This product will suck as a gaming laptop. It only has a 555m.
This product will get beat by a MacBook Pro in most newer games, due to the MBP's quad core.

You can configure a 17" MBP with an SSD, quad 2.4, and 6770M for the same price, and I'd rather have a multitouch trackpad with dozens of natural gestures, then a gimicky touch screen beside my keyboard.

If you want to pay this much for gaming go get an Alienware M14x which will tie it in performance for roughly $1500 less. Or spend the same money, and get an M18x with SLI 580M's and a way better CPU

RobsterCraw

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
A gaming laptop must at least be reasonably portable and be able to play games on the market at the time of it's release on high graphics settings. Razer got the first part right, but the gaming fire-power falls short.

The thing that excites me about this is that finally a laptop manufacturer not named after fruit is producing a proper unibody chassis (assuming they got it right). To me, this is Apple's only actual quality advantage over the competition.

Lastly, tight package portable laptops however are tough to make as gaming devices of any kind of high caliber. Not only because of the difficulty of fitting and cooling powerful hardware, but also because the available GPUs in a premium gaming laptop must always include the latest and greatest, and in a very tight chassis, that kind of frequent hardware update is hard to do.

I wonder if Sony might be on to something with their power media dock concept. If you could have a gaming laptop with a decent on-board gpu for running games at moderate quality while on the go, but also have the ability to connect to an external GPU for the proper high performance that a gamer expects when playing at home. Obviously there are some technical challenges to this kind of approach, but I bet that it would be very possible.

Otherwise, It isn't so bad to just keep the desktop for modern games and if I have to use my laptop for any games, I'll stick to some retro titles.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]The price is not that outrageous. The better chassis and touchpad-gimmick are probably worth the $500 you pay more compared to a equivalent Alienware, Asus or whatever. Weight and battery life also matter.I still don't understand the appeal of gaming laptops though. Do all those graphics details really matter on a 15-17"laptop display?[/citation]
The difference is not $500. An ASUS G74SX is way better than this one in specs. This has a dual core i7, 8GB of RAM, a GT555M 2GB, a 256GB SSD and a normal LCD screen. The G74SX has a quad core i7, 12GB of RAM and a GTX560M 3GB, a 160GB SSD and a 750GB 7200 RPM HHD and a 3D LCD screen with a pair of glasses. The ASUS is $800 cheaper. If I ditch the 3D screen and the SSD, switch the 750GB HDD for a 500GB 7200RPM HDD I can get one that is $1500 cheaper. And again let's not forget that spec wise the ASUS is way superior.

snowpeak

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Its Razer, they overcharge like crazy for average crap.
I bought the Carcharias headset fro $70 and it broke after a year. No I did not mistreat them at all. The sound out of them was mediocre, nothing special at all.

I then bought the Razer Mamba for $100. It is no better than any $20 Logitech mouse.
After 3 year the right mouse button is suffering from "bounce back" Where you click but it doesn't stay down, so you have to press extra harder.

Razer makes crap and charges insanely high prices for crap. I learned my lesson after buying two of their pieces of garbage. Anyone who buys this "dedicated gaming laptop" is a complete fool wasting money.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]sublime2k[/nom]Gaming laptop is an oxymoron. You can buy 3 gaming desktops for that money and they will outperform it.[/citation]
3 gaming desktops have a lower performance indeed if you haven't the room set them up, much less store in the first place. Beggars can't be choosers when your options are limited.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]snowpeak[/nom]Its Razer, they overcharge like crazy for average crap. I bought the Carcharias headset fro $70 and it broke after a year. No I did not mistreat them at all. The sound out of them was mediocre, nothing special at all.I then bought the Razer Mamba for $100. It is no better than any $20 Logitech mouse. After 3 year the right mouse button is suffering from "bounce back" Where you click but it doesn't stay down, so you have to press extra harder. Razer makes crap and charges insanely high prices for crap. I learned my lesson after buying two of their pieces of garbage. Anyone who buys this "dedicated gaming laptop" is a complete fool wasting money.[/citation]
I also owned a Razer Carcharias and my opinion of them is that calling them mediocre is actually being kind to Razer. OK, perhaps I'm being a bit harsh, the headset don't behave that bad when playing games, but it's incapable of performing well in music. Unfortunately it appears it's a problem with most, if not all gaming headsets. If you want quality then it's better to buy one from a company that specializes is audio like Sennheiser, AKG, Grado,...

[citation][nom]max-power[/nom]@Cumulonimbus incus, this is a specialty/niche laptop, that's why it's so expensive. It's aimed at a very specific market that is willing to pay top dollar for top performance, unlike Apple, where all of their products, from top of the line to the bottom are over-priced. That's why so many reader's consider Apple customers "mugs".[/citation]You're missing the point--this isn't "top performance". It's $1000 gaming laptop performance--benchmarks will prove that. At $2800, you can get a GTX 590M, which will absolutely blow this away...probably could do it in 3D too for that price. You're paying an extra $1800 for Apple-like prettiness and a name. That's why he mentioned "Apple".

G

really? wtf I thought alienware was a ripoff! I'll be getting an MSI GT780dxr thankyou

SoylentGreen

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]Umm, that's a downgrade.[/citation]

HDD to SSD? How's that a downgrade? The SSD will perform far better than an HDD. The loss in gigabytes is nothing compared to the gain in speed.

That was a brain f*rt. I only saw the sizes, not the change in class.

G

does anyone know how the fans or coolers for this thin laptop because i have a gaming laptop and its blazing hot up to 70-80C if you dont play in aircon

Status
Not open for further replies.