Razer to Release Deadly Mechanical Keyboard

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I always recommend razer keyboard, I have problems with a few in drivers, but most razer that I bought suffer extremely in my hands and they all survive.

catchercradle

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Don't know about this one but I must get out there and try some keyboards to see which one I like best to replace the one I have and don't really like. (M$ Natural). I think it is far more down to personal preference than quality though.

Ineedanewusername4561

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
I cannot see the point in this. Wasted money IMHO. You are not going to be much quicker or more precise with this keyboard over the 10 dollar version. If you are looking for a gaming peripheral then keyboards are not the way to go. After I purchased the Nostromo Speedpad I will never go back to using a keyboard for gamin as that is not what the original design intent was. A device like the speedpad is specifically designed for gaming and far better at it at a cheaper price than these keyboards. If your job is typing and data entry that may be another story but if your aim is gaming stick to the devices that are true gaming devices.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]squallypie[/nom]i have a monitor which shows the output. if no output, i havent pressed the button.[/citation]
Did you hear the woosh over your head there?

lcsper

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Sounds interesting, but in the end its a keyboard. It's not like WASD keys need to be any faster than it already is on a regular plain bread n butter keyboard. Just as long as you can hit 8 or so keys at a time you should be fine for pretty much anything. That said, I've owned a Razer Lycosa for almost 3 years now and it still works like a charm. Use it for gaming and for my audio editing/recording work with Pro Tools and it works the nicely for both. Can't see any reason to go above that though.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]garborg[/nom]What would make this a real gaming keyboard is if they reinforced WASD with some stainless steel plating[/citation]
um... not every one uses the default keyboard layout.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]The backlight is pretty neat. But at that price I would expect an ergonomic keyboard. As for key presses my $20 Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 is mechanical enough for me. When they say partial press and really easy to press down keys. I picture a lot of errors when touch typing as fingers just resting on keys accidentally depress them from the slightest touch.[/citation]

Never have liked "ergonomic" keyboards and NEVER will. :) Call me old fashioned. And yes, have actually tried all REAL world applications (and games) on them.

kale-

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Afaik this doesn't have full NKRO. Wristrest doen't look too promising either, would be better without so ppl who buy this can't use their own.

kale-

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
If you want mechanical keyboard for gaming. Look for one that has full NKRO, find out what swithces the keyboard has. Try / buy if you like it.

Filco majestouch is available with 3 different type of key switches. ( cherry mx blue black and brown iirc )

G

Do the mechanical switches make a clicking noise when pressed like the old IBM's? That would intolerable in most environments.

My keys are sticky...Can it be hosed off or run through the dishwasher after use?

kale-

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Steven Johnson[/nom]Do the mechanical switches make a clicking noise when pressed like the old IBM's? That would intolerable in most environments.My keys are sticky...Can it be hosed off or run through the dishwasher after use?[/citation]

Hi,

Some make clicking noise, some don't. I have a keyboard with cherry mx blacks now = non clicky, no tacile feedback when key is registered, but when you bottom key, it nicely stops :D.

Cherry mx blues have the tacile feedback and they click.
Cherry mx browns have tacile feedback and they do not click.

Good to read:
http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html

Status
Not open for further replies.