Re-defining "custom" in PC world through a powerhouse build...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014

You guys should be excited. You talked me out of trying to build the computer. I would have thought that was what you were trying to do and you succeeded. I mean, I already started the model but you guys really made me see that I just can't do whatever I set my mind to. If you guys are in the business of talking people out of going after what makes them happy then you really have nothing to worry about... But I thought my idea was a good one. Nobody seems to agree though, so, I give up.

everyone here was trying to help prevent you making any mistakes as you went about your project.

we never once said "you cannot do it", "dont do it" or to "give up". we only suggested changes which could help you out. you are putting words in our mouths as they say.

whenever we disagree with what you think on an issue you seem to be taking it as an insult or in a negative light. you even admitted that you are not an expert so why are you getting so upset when experts give you advice?

seeing this, i tried to help by providing some actual details on why certain things wouldnt work or why certain things were not recommended as well as giving a few ideas on how i would go about the project but essentially my time spent trying to help you was wasted it seems.

--

if the project has a purpose then its a good idea however it would be good to at the very least plan things out a bit first since this will help you out immensely in the long run. going into such a project blind never ends well.

however, your choice if you want to continue or just give up so easily.

unless you decide to get serious ... i'm done here.

USAFRet

Titan

No, we're not 'excited'. And no one here is preventing you from building anything.
If you're serious, make it.

bp_968

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2012
So I know he gave up already but the suggestion were moderately interesting. I've known for decades that you can't buy "future proof" components, you can only spend to much for tomorrows "mid grade " equipment. But it did get me thinking, given an unlimited budget what areas could you improve on to a useful degree for a gaming PC? You could go multiple CPU but how many games would really get anything from multiple 16 core Xeons? You could go multiple GFX cards but again, not a huge gain (and it's something already routinely done anyway). Huge amounts of RAM is mostly useless for gaming, though a RAM drive is a interesting idea. That leaves us with storage. I had two ideas, 1) simple:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W01V37971&cm_re=mushkin_ssd-_-9SIA2W01V37971-_-Product
A 2GB/s read rate and lots of IOPS.

And 2) silly. Build a second system based on a server MB/CPU combo that accepts RDIMMS and install 256-512GB of RAM. Install a 40Gb Ethernet card or 40Gb Infiniband in each machine and setup the server to be a giant, noisy, power hungry RAM drive with insane IOPS and throughput. Infiniband is lower latency and given the right software can be almost as fast as accessing a local RAM drive (RDMA aware stuff for example, though I have no experience with RDMA). I use 10Gb infiniband at home and it's stunningly fast even with TCP/IP.

Vellinious

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013

How long have you been a pc designer? You do realize that Intel doesn't make an AM3+ socket, yes?

Also, clock speed isn't everything. That 4.7GHz AMD processor can't hold a candle to a 3rd or 4th gen i7 in terms of performance. Also consider, I believe that 4.7GHz AMD processor is the 9590, has very little overclocking headroom without SERIOUS cooling. Where, with an Intel i7, you can overclock them to run at those clocks. Absolutely no need to, but....ya can.

Sounds like you have a lot of reading and research to do before you start thinking about building a PC.

Made a mistake of my own...just read the last part. Everything else I said is still straight on. That being said, you should really get on some of the tech and overclocking forums, not only Tom's, and do a lot of reading.

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
I'm not going to build anything. I have given up on this project as I said. Also, I corrected the mistake I wrote in what you quoted so just get off my back already.

Status
Not open for further replies.