Re: New type RAM stick, Should I take out side plates?

LinComp

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Hi, guys, thanks for helping me!

I purchased an additional 4 gb ram and put into my mother board in the second ram slot, so i am supposed to have total 8 gb, but for some reason my system still shows only 4 gb. I am working on different things to find out the reason why my computer is still showing just 4 gb.

In the meantime i am wondering whether it is the new type of ram stick that is the reason.

The new ram stick has some plate like shield or cover on the sides which my previous ran stick does not have. Am I supposed to take out this side plate, OR, does the ram stick goes into the slot with the side plates too?

This is the link to ram stick, this is not the exact ram I put, but this is the picture I could get, and as you see on the sides the ram stick has some extra covering or plate like structure on both sides;

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B076JXXDRB/ref=psdc_1375384031_t3_B07DP5YC9D

Am I supposed to take out the plate, or do I put the whole piece (ram stick + the side plates) in to the ram slot?

Please help me, thank you guys so much!

LinComp

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Zyh1987 & Stevenjemint – thank you guys so much!

I am glad to find out I do not have to take out the side plates, because I was worrying whether I forcedly inserted the new type of ram in to the ram slot and damaged the ram slot. So I see I am not supposed to take out the plates - so that is not the reason then my computer not able to recognize total 8 gb ram.

I am bit inexperienced when it comes to the system etc, so I am not that familiar with the technical things, but when I go to bios it shows I am having two ram slots, but only under one slot it shows 4 gb ram, the other slot into which I put an additional 4 gb is not shown. And also the bios considers my ram slot as single channel, but in reality my mother board I assume came with double channel ram slot – at least I guess so.

This is the link to my mother board;

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B06XNRWM3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will greatly appreciate if you guys could kindly help me in identifying the issues, and I am sorry I am not able to give more info since I am not that experienced with internal system of the computers.

Thank you guys so much!

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other combinations you decide to make have no guarantee to be compatible together. This also includes exact match, same thing, identical.

Memory modules purchased as Single modules have no guarantee to be compatible in any configuration other than as a Single module.