Anthony_F_Thompson

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013
So I was looking at a few websites out of curiosity about RAM benchmarks. L-Bench for Latency, M-Bench for Multi-core and S-Bench for Single-core.
Under those were also Read, Write and Mixed. I want to assume just like how CPU benefits games better by having more single core power and storage drive having more read speeds, that RAM kits with higher single core read speeds would benefit gaming the most. Then latency speeds would be better for heavy application uses and write for lots of workflow that needs to be dished in and out of the RAM/storage or something? Is this an accurate assumption? Or should I balance it out and focus on mixed?

Here's an example

MinAvgMax
29.2MC Read 38.350.4
19.8MC Write 32.245.1
20.9MC Mixed 33.944.3
99.4% 34.8 GB/s

MinAvgMax
17.5SC Read 23.928.7
19SC Write 27.947.5
23.6SC Mixed 3341.6
80.7% 28.3 GB/s

MinAvgMax
54.3Latency 75.892.1
52.8% 75.8 ns

Solution
BUDDY. LISTEN.

The question literally had nothing to do with what you preferred was faster or why it faster. You clearly don't know the difference between multi core and single core. Don't blame me because you refused to properly read a question. I was being as nice as any could possibly be with out telling you you're too ignorant to understand the topic.

I'm asking if single core read/write speeds matter more than multi core read/write speeds for gaming just like more single core performance on a CPU matters more for gaming. I just went with my assumption before any one game me a correct answer.
It all depends on the game. having a high core but low single core performance can help in games that use a nasty amount of cpu...
I'd go for the one on the left since it has a significant amount more read and has a negligible difference in write. And latency doesn't matter a crazy amount, but anything around 70ns is pretty good. The one on the left also has better avg write where the one on the right seems to be a tad faster in bursts. so the left overall seems better.

Anthony_F_Thompson

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013
I'd go for the one on the left since it has a significant amount more read and has a negligible difference in write. And latency doesn't matter a crazy amount, but anything around 70ns is pretty good. The one on the left also has better avg write where the one on the right seems to be a tad faster in bursts. so the left overall seems better.

The left is multi core. That's what the MC stands for. Its all the same kit.

Yes the higher speeds to help the all out performance that's required for 'peak performance' type applications. But keep in mind that memory reliability and generally how much you have will far outweigh any individual speed differences between two scenarios.

Anthony_F_Thompson

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013
Yes the higher speeds to help the all out performance that's required for 'peak performance' type applications. But keep in mind that memory reliability and generally how much you have will far outweigh any individual speed differences between two scenarios.

I am going to take the assumption that the scoring of single core benchmark is based on single core processor benchmarks and take in value of what scores the highest. I just wish I knew what games actually use more. Read or write. Or both?

I am going to take the assumption that the scoring of single core benchmark is based on single core processor benchmarks and take in value of what scores the highest. I just wish I knew what games actually use more. Read or write. Or both?
I'm not sure exactly either, but think of it this way--a cpu can't do anything without memory and you can bet if the cores of a cpu are being used simultaneously, the memory will be used in the same fashion.

Your preference is irrelevant and not a valid response, here.
saying my preference is irrelevant really ticks me off but whatever just google your simplistic questions and save people time and learn how to give a best answer to SamirD as he/she answered your question. A ten second google search of "how ram benefits cpu" led me to this page https://smallbusiness.chron.com/memory-affect-processors-70165.html

I was quite tired when I attempted to answer your question. But you could've handled it much better instead of being somewhat of a jerk about it.

Reactions: SamirD

Anthony_F_Thompson

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013
saying my preference is irrelevant really ticks me off but whatever just google your simplistic questions and save people time and learn how to give a best answer to SamirD as he/she answered your question. A ten second google search of "how ram benefits cpu" led me to this page https://smallbusiness.chron.com/memory-affect-processors-70165.html

I was quite tired when I attempted to answer your question. But you could've handled it much better instead of being somewhat of a jerk about it.

BUDDY. LISTEN.

The question literally had nothing to do with what you preferred was faster or why it faster. You clearly don't know the difference between multi core and single core. Don't blame me because you refused to properly read a question. I was being as nice as any could possibly be with out telling you you're too ignorant to understand the topic.

I'm asking if single core read/write speeds matter more than multi core read/write speeds for gaming just like more single core performance on a CPU matters more for gaming. I just went with my assumption before any one game me a correct answer.

BUDDY. LISTEN.

It all depends on the game. having a high core but low single core performance can help in games that use a nasty amount of cpu, whereas a lighterweight game a lower core with higher single core performance will benefit the performance. Unless you were to have a specific game with the identical settings and use two different cpu's then for that specific game you'd see the difference and whether or not it benefits as all games have different workloads. Some are similar and others vastly different, and I could only assume it's similar with your ram. I hope that helps with your question. And I do know what single core and multi core performance is my god I would've picked a pricy intel cpu if I didn't. single core is just one core and multi core is multiple cores... It's in the name.

Solution