Question Read/write speeds vs transfer speed

Star2222

Reputable
May 4, 2021
Hi,
for a hard drive used to store exclusively large amount of data which is accessed literally all the time (and NOT windows or other software) which parameter should I consider when selecting a SSD (either SATA or M.2)? Is it the Read speed, Write speed or Transfer speed?

Thank you

USAFRet

Titan
should I consider when selecting a SSD (either SATA or M.2)? Is it the Read speed, Write speed or Transfer speed?
Yes....;)

Reasonable quality SATA III SSD are all pretty much the same, speedwise.
Don't buy junk offbrand.

Instead of "M.2", you're looking at NVMe/PCIe.

What type NVMe depends a lot on your motherboard, and what ports are available.

What is this system used for, and what type of data?

Star2222

Reputable
May 4, 2021
Thank you @USAFRet,
the data is mostly engineering software stuff like 3D CAD and animation, video, audio and photos for editing.

For that applications or even generally speaking, and for SATA specifically, which one is the most important parameter between Read speed, Write speed or Transfer speed?

Thank you :)

USAFRet

Titan
For that applications or even generally speaking, and for SATA specifically, which one is the most important parameter between Read speed, Write speed or Transfer speed?
You forgot one...reliability.
As said, mainstream SATA III SSDs from top tier manufacturers are pretty much the same in performance.

I have several SATA III SSDs in daily use, from different manufacturers. Samsung, Crucial, SanDisk.
Some going back years.
Impossible to see any difference in a blind test.

js2

Jul 16, 2024
Hi,
for a hard drive used to store exclusively large amount of data which is accessed literally all the time (and NOT windows or other software) which parameter should I consider when selecting a SSD (either SATA or M.2)? Is it the Read speed, Write speed or Transfer speed?

Thank you
Neither. You want to go for a RAID array or a NAS, depending on data size and user setup. Or if your budget allows it, go for a server.

When it comes to SSDs for large data, there are many drawbacks. From limited read write cycles, to high temperature causing data loss, to poor large file transfer speeds

SSDs are great for small to medium files, and linear access. But there is good reason most networking and data intensive devices don't use them.

Enterprise SSDs are the dogs bollocks, but out of most price ranges.

Silas Sanchez

Proper
Feb 2, 2024
M.2 Gen 4 Nvme if internal drive on motherboard,

Gen 4 Nvme if external usb enclosure.

Look for highest IOPS (like Samsung 990 pro as one example), that is the simply all you need to look for, others make things to complicated...

Forget about about SATA, they are too slow, period! Best to listen to people who actually explain things a bit. When sata drives are really worked like with many folders or large collections of image thumbnails they run slow.
Avoid samsung and any sata that has QLC memory, its absolute garbage and slower sustained write speeds than many average HDD.

And sata ssd have sky rocked back up in price, the QLC & TLC samsung is a rip off!

I brought two samsung 8TB sata QLC for my laptop a while back, both cost me 699 & 580 respectively, now, they are back up to 900-950. Simply disgusting.