Ready To Upgrade cpu and mobo questions.

Brachaboy

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
So after about a year of looking for parts, I finnaly think im ready to upgrade my cpu. Before I describe what I’m planning to do, I’d just like to say that I’m confident on the hardware exhange, but I’ve never had to wipe a harddrive, or reinstall windows or stuff like that.

I plan to go from:

Win 10
AMD Phenom ll x6 1100T
Some gigabyte mobo with loads of letters that I can’t remember atm
16GB DDR3 ballistix RAM

To:

Win 10
Intel i5 8600k
Some z370 mobo that I haven’t decided yet.
16GB 3000mhz Corsair vengeance ram.

So to do this, I’m going to move my images and documents, gamesaves etc from my 1TB OS drive, to my 3tb drive, so that I can then wipe the 1TB drive.

I got windows 10 from when it was free a couple of years ago, and I have linked it to my MS account.

So instead of spending £120 on a new windows 10 key, can I download a windows 10 image from the Microsoft website, put it on a usb, then use that to reinstall windows onto the 1TB after I wiped it, and then log into my Microsoft account, so that it restores my stuff and I don’t have to pay for a new key.

Also what happens to my graphics drivers?

I know that when you upgrade from an amd gpu to a nvidia one or visa Versa, you have to download the new drivers, then uninstall the old ones, then turn off your pc, do the exhange, and then boot in safe mode, to install the new drivers, would the process be the same here? As in download and install my gpu drivers in safe mode.

So my plan as I understand it would be to do this:

Move personal files from 1TB OS drive to my other one.

Download a win 10 image from Microsoft and put it on a usb drive.

Double check that my windows key is linked to my ms account.

Close down PC

Use a different pc to wipe my 1TB OS drive.

Do the hardware exhange of mobo cpu and ram, reconnect 1TB os drive.

Turn on pc, install windows onto the 1TB drive.

Boot into safe mode (?) link this new windows version to my ms account so that it unlocks, download nvidia graphics drivers, install, restart into normal mode.

And then I’m done (?)

Cheers.

Solution
You're almost there, not quite yet, but almost...
Let's put it together like this:

Are you using two different HDD or are they both the same? Copy only personal files, anything related to the OS isn't important to the new(second) HDD.

Download the W10 image, install it in a USB using microsoft USB installer.
Download the drivers of your motherboard in a new usb stick(can't be the one you'll put the W10 in)
Shutdown PC
Insert pen drive in any USB slot
Boot PC into BIOS, select the proper boot order(USB you just plugged first)
Restart into the USB & Format whole old HDD(You don't need another PC to wipe it) & Install W10 in it.
After installation, shutdown again the PC & swap GPUS
Boot in again in BIOS, change the boot order to the...

manddy123

Admirable
You're almost there, not quite yet, but almost...
Let's put it together like this:

Are you using two different HDD or are they both the same? Copy only personal files, anything related to the OS isn't important to the new(second) HDD.

Download the W10 image, install it in a USB using microsoft USB installer.
Download the drivers of your motherboard in a new usb stick(can't be the one you'll put the W10 in)
Shutdown PC
Insert pen drive in any USB slot
Boot PC into BIOS, select the proper boot order(USB you just plugged first)
Restart into the USB & Format whole old HDD(You don't need another PC to wipe it) & Install W10 in it.
After installation, shutdown again the PC & swap GPUS
Boot in again in BIOS, change the boot order to the respective HDD(instead of the pendrive)
Restart,

Install new AMD or GPU drivers and Mobo's drivers

If everything is done right, you'll be good in no time. If you still have any doubts ask away.
It's nice, in your first time doing this, to watch a guide on youtube or something so you can follow their steps. :)

Solution

Brachaboy

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
thanks for the reply, so I am able to activate a win 10 image with the license I have from when win 10 was free, good to know.

Can’t I use the driver disk that comes with the mobo instead of downloading them onto a usb? I’ve heard it’s pretty complicated to install those manually from a download, and disasterous if it goes wrong. I’ll be spending about £700 on parts so I just want it to go smoothly.

Thanks again

manddy123

Admirable

You can... but it's not recommended. Those drivers are probably very outdated and not really worth installing...

Complicated? If you can install a software, you can install a driver no real issues tbh. Perhaps you'll not need to download a thing, but to be extra careful, just download the Audio and network drivers from your mobo(the exact mobo model you have) manufacturer's official website.

TRENDING THREADS