[SOLVED] Real quick question: buy RVS or STD adapter for GPU 8 pin connectors.

Nachmanowicz

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Alrite, I'll get to it. I bought a new GPU and its too wide, the case won't close cause of the cable sticking out. So I thought: I'll just buy an adapter, right? Like an L shaped adapter and presto, job done, I can close my case (pun unintended). It is a GTX 1080, it has one 8 pin and one 6pin slot.

I live in Brazil, so buying from China is a better option for me, usually. I found this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002340050321.html
But it has two different 8 pin adapters: one is RVS and one is STD , I'm confused ?!?!?!? Which should I buy??!?!!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
you want the STD version, it will put the plug ontop of the card closer to the cpu. the RVS would point the plug down words and you could not plug your cable into it.

Its funny because the picture on Aliexpress has the plugs on the card upside down. I googled the gtx 1080 just to make sure.

Lutfij

Titan
Right about now, I'd be worried about the make and model of the case, since the connectors might not be the only issue you're going to have with the card, it might be that the case is too old for the innards/components and can result on the components cooking themselves.

Mind stating the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

I'd avoid adapters or connectors for the time being and focus on whether a case would be your primary problem to solve.

Reactions: Nachmanowicz

Nachmanowicz

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
CPU: I7 5775c with Corsair H80
Motherboard: MSI z97 Gaming 5
Ram: 2x8GB 2400Mhz G. Skill
SSD/HDD: 1x 240GB SSD Crucial 1x 1tb SSD Crucial 1x 2tb HDD WD Green
GPU: MSI GTX 1080 8GB
PSU: XFX 850W modular
Chassis: No idea its new, like 3 years old, but its like very entry level and kinda small.

I've used it for a while already, before it was a GTX 970. It was fineee...

you want the STD version, it will put the plug ontop of the card closer to the cpu. the RVS would point the plug down words and you could not plug your cable into it.

Its funny because the picture on Aliexpress has the plugs on the card upside down. I googled the gtx 1080 just to make sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nachmanowicz
Solution