Real-Time Cinematic VR Rendering With Epic Games And The Mill

Status
Not open for further replies.

WFang

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
At first I got really excited when I thought the Mill was a reference to the new CPU architecture ...
https://millcomputing.com/

TheAfterPipe

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
I remember seeing something similar last year and I think the consensus was that it was very impractical when it was much easier to create a CGI model.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'd have loved to know more details about the car, BTW. Like, what did they use as a basis for it, weight, horespower, FWD/RWD/AWD, etc. I'm sure it can't go too fast, with that bulky camera rig.

In the shots they used, it looks real enough not to be distracting. On my somewhat average LCD monitor, anyway. I can believe that you could pick out the CG car next to a physical one.

I'll try watching this on my plasma TV and update if I find it looks much worse.

Huh? Do you understand that the rig is needed to make the CGI model more practical?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Interesting, but I doubt they can beat the single-thread performance of the big boys. Some of the tricks they mention are already used (i.e. register bypass) for decades. IMO, they might have some advantages in secure computing, and they might be able to deliver better performance per Watt.

But, like other alternative CPU architectures, they're heavily dependent on machine translation or getting software to use different APIs and programming models. That's a big ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.