Real-Time Communication Comes to Chrome via WebRTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
No surprise that Google would like us to use more of their services, but I can't complain, this does seem like a nice idea.

My guess is that they hope this will encourage more people to use Google+ and hangouts.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I remember back when all my browser did was browse. It's crazy now how much added functionality we have come to expect from just the internet browser. Soon it will be making me breakfast (I hope) :)

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
What that means for end-users is that it could spell certain trouble for the likes of stand-alone clients like Skype and Tango.
ahhh, did microsoft buy skype too late?

I am sure some troll will try to blame apple for this.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]Classzero[/nom]ahhh, did microsoft buy skype too late?[/citation]

I suspect that the previous owners think that Microsoft bought it at exactly the correct time.

Skype has other features like voice mail and land-line/POTS services that may keep it relevant for a while. Skype still has to compete with SIP and Jingle.

senshu

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
"...and Google admits that WebRTC is still evolving based on feedback by developers and the standards process."

Using "admits" makes it sound like that's a bad and/or unusual thing, which it certainly isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.