[SOLVED] Really bad connection from Alienware 18

dmoe33

Reputable
May 18, 2016
Im getting really bad connection from my Alienware 18 Ive ruled out my net as the issue and im getting upwards of 3k ping and 100% packet loss aswell as noticing it through games/websites.

Ive recently took it apart for a repaste on the GPUs but I dont think I touched the WiFi card in any way thatll loosen it or anything.

Solution
Network cables: any cables in your network. Especially those cables connecting any wireless access points.

Likely now moot if the laptop is the only affected device. Especially if laptop location with respect to the wireless router does not make a difference: same room, different rooms, etc..

As for Resource Monitor and Task Manager look for anything that is consuming a high % of resources. May not necessarily be "network" per se on your laptop. Whatever is, if anything at all, consuming a high % then the network functions may be degraded as a result.

You can sort the columns by clicking the column header - may make it easier to spot some app, process, or service especially if the % presentations keep changing order.

May be...

Ralston18

Titan
Have you tried running pathping and tracert to determine if the problem is inside or outside of your network?

What about your network cables: have you tried methodically replacing each cable one-by-one with a known working cable?

Check Task Manager and Resource Monitor on the laptop to look for bottlenecks.

Download the network adapter drivers via the network adapter's manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Who manages your network router? The router's logs (if available and enabled) may be capturing some error or problem condition.

dmoe33

Reputable
May 18, 2016

Hi the only things Ive done is a speed test through Ookla on both my pc and my phone with my phone showing close to the expected speeds at 100-300mb/s down where my pc showing speeds at 20mb/s maximum and thats being generous, they are not running at the same time. I used PingPlotter to trace it and thats where I got the packet loss and ping figure from. Thats the basic process I did to narrow down that its probable its my Laptop rather then my network as well as my phone connectivity is fine as well as everyone elses connected to the network.

What network cables are you referring to? Also what exactly should I be looking for in resource monitor that would indicate a bottleneck?

Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
Network cables: any cables in your network. Especially those cables connecting any wireless access points.

Likely now moot if the laptop is the only affected device. Especially if laptop location with respect to the wireless router does not make a difference: same room, different rooms, etc..

As for Resource Monitor and Task Manager look for anything that is consuming a high % of resources. May not necessarily be "network" per se on your laptop. Whatever is, if anything at all, consuming a high % then the network functions may be degraded as a result.

You can sort the columns by clicking the column header - may make it easier to spot some app, process, or service especially if the % presentations keep changing order.

May be a faulty or corrupted network adapter driver.

Solution

dmoe33

Reputable
May 18, 2016

Ok tested it again this morning and without taking any steps its now matching my phone and its fine. Funnily enough it did this right after I was creating a restore point to revert drivers.

Appreciate the help, will update if any more problems arise