[SOLVED] Really noobish question here about older monitor's and new PC's

acctingman

Honorable
Oct 21, 2014
zZ5d5pT.jpg
Hello

I recently bought a HP Omen 25L from Costco. It has 1 HDMI port along with 3 other ports which I'm assuming are DP ports? I have an older DVI only second monitor I want to hook up to the PC. I'm guessing I need a cable that has a DVI connection and on the other end a standard DP connection? I'm not quite sure what cable I need exactly to be honest. I've attached (or hope I did) a picture of the back of the PC.

Thanks for any assistance.

Solution
Oh for a 'second monitor', sorry missed that part. Yes, DP to DVI (Order matters) passive cable or adapter will work.

Enter output/input fields here;

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah those are Displayports. If you're not trying to achieve 120Hz+ with the DVI monitor then just a simple HDMI to DVI-D cable would work. If you want over 120Hz+ then it becomes more involved, seeking out DP->DVI DL active adapters which range around 100$US.

There's a display guide sticky in the Displays section if you want to have a look. How to Connect to a 120+ Hz display, it further explains what you'll need.

acctingman

Honorable
Oct 21, 2014
OK, but why would I need an hdmi to dvi cable when there is only 1 hdmi input on the pc (used for my main monitor)?

Wouldn't I need a cable with dvi at one end and a display port connection at the other end (to go into 1 of those 3 ports pictured)

Thank you for the knowledge

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh for a 'second monitor', sorry missed that part. Yes, DP to DVI (Order matters) passive cable or adapter will work.

Enter output/input fields here;

Reactions: acctingman
Solution