[SOLVED] Really screwed up Brother MFC-L2705DW printer - need help, please

flycaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I just set up a new PC(Windows 10 20H2), and as far as I know I didn't load any Brother programs onto the new PC. Nonetheless, it did print, not sure if it was reconnected wirelessly or wired. Anyway, as there were no printer programs on the computer, I downloaded several Brother programs from this site (https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcl2705dw_us). Among the programs were a firmware update, printer and scanner driver for local connection, and Paper Port. However, when loading them, I'm quite sure that I didn't pay attention to the instructions, and now the printer won't start...like it is dead. My only saving thought is that someone can help me before I have to trash a perfectly good printer. My only thought now, it that maybe we should start all over again by deleting everything related to the printer...but I don't know how to do this, if this makes sense. Thanks.

Printer won't start, meaning it won't turn on? Then it's a decent chance the firmware update failed or was not done properly. Not much do there unless it has a failsafe setup option roll back firmware to stock or you can replace the main board on it. Brother support site should have something about recovering from a bad flash if that is possible.

flycaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
Printer won't start, meaning it won't turn on? Then it's a decent chance the firmware update failed or was not done properly. Not much do there unless it has a failsafe setup option roll back firmware to stock or you can replace the main board on it. Brother support site should have something about recovering from a bad flash if that is possible.

Right, won't start. And, unfortunately, I believe that you are probably right about screwing up a firmware update as I did try to load on some new stuff. I'll check to see if things can be rolled back. If not, I guess I'll just have to junk a perfectly good printer.
EDIT: Called Brother printer support. They had me pull the plug from the surge protector and put it directly into a wall outlet. Well, pick me off the floor, damn printer started working. Could have been a dead socket in the protector as everything else plugged in is working. Haven't tried to put plug back into protector as it is a hassle...but, at some later time, probably will do out of curiosity

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"Haven't tried to put plug back into protector as it is a hassle...but, at some later time, probably will do out of curiosity".

I am a curious person also but I would forego "testing" that surge protector. Or only do so with something expendable.

If the surge protector has developed some sort of problem then the next time something is plugged into the surge protector things may not end well.

Just my thoughts on the matter....