[SOLVED] REALLY Slow download speeds

Mar 26, 2021
I have a really good download speed whenever i do a speed test, but when actually downloading things, my speeds top out at around 4.5 mbps. is there any way to combat this?

Solution
Do you have any settings which throttle your download speeds? I know Steam has this, I presume Origin also does.

Your ISP could also be throttling you for downloads like this - assuming they might want to limit bandwidth for customers to prevent impact to other users sharing local pipe.

However, Speedtests are just a generalization of what you could get, but is not an indication what you should get or will always get from every site. The fact remains that any given page could have different limitations as to how fast you can get data from them.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Do you have any settings which throttle your download speeds? I know Steam has this, I presume Origin also does.

Your ISP could also be throttling you for downloads like this - assuming they might want to limit bandwidth for customers to prevent impact to other users sharing local pipe.

However, Speedtests are just a generalization of what you could get, but is not an indication what you should get or will always get from every site. The fact remains that any given page could have different limitations as to how fast you can get data from them.

Solution

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
You have to do the conversions between MBps and mbps. The speed test app by ookla for the cellphone will do this for you. However the app on PC won’t. Also windows does data measurements in decimal. Compared to for example apple computers which do it in binary.