[SOLVED] [really solved] AMD RADEON HD7570 or NVIDIA ?

Aug 12, 2019
Hi everybody
I have an old Dell 3010 in SFF and I would like to put a graphic card inside.

Reading the technical guidebook, it says :

- there is only a PCI-e x16 slot 1 + PCI-e x1 slot 2, and looking inside, it seems to be right.

-> DELL™ OPTIPLEX™ 3010 TECHNICAL GUIDEBOOK —FINAL
-> GRAPHICS/VIDEO CONTR OLLER
-> NOTE: MT supports full height (FH) cards and DT and SFF supports low profile (LP) cards
-> NOTE: All PCIe slots support PCIe 2.0)
-> Enhanced Graphic/Video Options :

-> 1GB AMD RADEON HD7570 with DP and DVI Optional LP card
-> 1GB AMD RADEON HD7470 with DP and DVI Optional LP card

THE Questions :

1- Am I obliged to put ONLY an 1GB AMD RADEON HD7470 or HD7570 with DP and DVI, LP card or can I put a NVIDIA equivalent card ?

2- can I put a recent and more powerfull NVIDIA card in PCIe 2.0 ?

3- could someone give me a list of some cheap NVIDIA cards (in low profile or not, because it's a SFF computer) for PCI-e x16 PCI2.0 slot please, thx.

Last edited:
Solution
  1. Yes, you can use any card;
  2. Yeah, there is no restriction, you can use a newer card in a pcie 2.0, it just won't be used at its full potential but will be totally better than de HD series;
  3. Hm, many cards have a "MINI" version, even the GTX 1070 but it's a huge overkill for the system. I don't know your budget and I also don't know the main purpose of your computer... but here are some card that will suit any budget:

• GT 1030 - This is the lowest you should get, it's not a powerful card but will handle light gaming and it's not as outdated as older series;
  • GTX 1050 - This one should not be very much more expensive than the 1030 and will be a decent improvement in gaming, will probably do other task...

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016
  1. Yes, you can use any card;
  2. Yeah, there is no restriction, you can use a newer card in a pcie 2.0, it just won't be used at its full potential but will be totally better than de HD series;
  3. Hm, many cards have a "MINI" version, even the GTX 1070 but it's a huge overkill for the system. I don't know your budget and I also don't know the main purpose of your computer... but here are some card that will suit any budget:

• GT 1030 - This is the lowest you should get, it's not a powerful card but will handle light gaming and it's not as outdated as older series;
  • GTX 1050 - This one should not be very much more expensive than the 1030 and will be a decent improvement in gaming, will probably do other task better;
  • GTX 1050 Ti - I had this card in a gaming computer, i has done really, really well and I recommend it... but it's kinda expensive for some reason;
Now.. I've listed some power efficient cards from nvidia, but you are not limited to nvidia, you can also try some new Radeons like RX 460, RX 560, RX 470, RX 570. As a reference, the 470 is just slightly better than the 1050 Ti and will have a lower price, but be careful when you buy those, I've seen many people mining with them.

EDIT: Forgot to say, the CPU inside that Dell is quite limiting and will probably bottleneck the 1050 Ti, so best bet in my opinion would be the 1030 or the 1050 non TI.

Solution

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Your desktops service book suggests that your PCI-e 16x slot can only provide up to 50 Watts of power, so GT 1030 would be your best bet.

GTX 1050 would perform better but your cpu has to be a core processor and not Celeron or pentium.

GT 1030 a powerful entry level GPU but not really meant for 1080p high end gaming.

but a lot more powerful than the 2 GB HD 7750 GDDR5

Last edited:

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016
Your desktops service book suggests that your PCI-e 16x slot can only provide up to 50 Watts of power, so GT 1030 would be your best bet.

GTX 1050 would perform better but your cpu has to be a core processor and not Celeron or pentium.

GT 1030 a powerful entry level GPU but not really meant for 1080p high end gaming.

but a lot more powerful than the 2 GB HD 7750 GDDR5

I think his model has an i3 3220, so it should be enough for the 1050. But yes, I missed the info about only 50W of power from the slot.. I think, though, since the 1050's max is 75w and it does not use it al all ( as far as I've read) it should be fine with 50.

Aug 12, 2019
Hi guys. Thank you for your prompt replys.

---
By the way, my desktop is an office one, so no game computing...

Intel core i5-3470 @ 3.20 (4 cores)
4 Go ram
Windows 7 - 64b
---

The purpose of puting a new graphic card is to "work" (trying to "work" with my old skills) with AutoCAD, and 3DS max... I'm sure the new card will be better than my Intel HD Graphics.

I read about power on the pci 2.0 slot wich seems to be 75W max (said Wikipedia) , BUT, as Sagar_20 said, reading the technical desktops service book :

Maximum Wattage
MT - DT - SFF
75 - 50 - 50

1- First of all : thank you so much for your warnings (I missed about wattage...) !!!

2- I read about power consumption : ATI seems to be much lower than Nvidia...

3- Almost all my computers are for learning "computer system administration" with Unix/Linux/Windows, using old laptops without screens, connecting with OpenSSH, running Debian (database), Slackware (server), NetBSD (gateway), Windows only for office.

So, in a few days, the SFF Dell we're talking about, is going to become a full desktop office/design computer. I don't think it will run Unix/Linux one day, so ATI for power consumption (and very well supported by Unix/Linux) and NVIDIA for good handling graphic design (but very bad supported by Unix/Linux).

Staying running Windows, I will look for Nvidia, and I thank you a lot, guys, for your advices.

Have nice days.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Even from power consumption point of view Nvidia is far better.

It's consumption is 75 Watts as compared to 50, but it's performance is also a lot better.
Comparison link - HD 7570 vs GTX 1050 Ti

Although you won't be getting it's full performance but for the 4 GB VRAM, this is what you would want.

Autocad recommends 4 GB GPU with 106 GB/s Bandwidth and DirectX 11 compliant.

Aug 12, 2019
Well, with Windows 7 SP1- 64b, Intel core i5-3470 @ 3.20 (4 cores) and 4 Go ram, Intel HD graphics, I can run AutoCAD 2016, but I get some lags... I haven't tried 3DS max...

From "UserBENCHMARK" :
"The GTX 1050 Ti 4GB has a TDP of 75 Watts..."

Reading the specs of NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030
Graphics Processor GP108
blablabla.....
TDP 30 W

The GT 1030 seems okay for my SFF, low Wattage, and much more powerfull than a classical HD Graphics, but it is a PCI-Express 3.0 x4 and my technical book says PCI-Express 2.0 x16 Slot.

I know that PCI-e 3.0 will run fine on a PCI-e 2.0, but I'm not sure for x4 on x16

Ge !!! Why is it so complicated....

[edit]
GT 1030 isn't a graphic card for gaming and the GP108 has only 384 calcul units wich is 40 % less than a GeForce GTX 1050 but with a TDP 30w for GT 1030 and 75W for GTX 1050, I can only choose the 1030 with a passive cooling.

I've been reading lots of specs in my own langage and I began to anderstand, the only question left is X4 vs X16

[/edit]

Last edited:

lynx1021

Distinguished
Ge !!! Why is it so complicated.... Because the Pre-built manufacturers try to cram the most stuff in the littlest case for the cheapest cost that makes it virtually not upgradeable. What really gets me it the ones that sell laptops to uninformed people with a 32 gb flash drive for a hard drive. Sorry about the rant!

Aug 12, 2019
@lynx1021
I remember when I was a kid, I began computing, we had choice between Amstrad 6128, Amiga, Comodore and Thomson TO7. And a few years after there was Nvidia or ATI, and so many things...

[edit]
I've been reading lots of specs in my own langage and I began to anderstand, the only question left is X4 vs X16
-> the PCI-e X4 is smaller than the PCI-e X16 v3.0, so it will fit inside, and run stripped at pci-e v2.0 at X4 speed

There are no PCI-e X4 GeForce® GT 1030 - 2 Go - GDDR only PCI Express 3.0 x16 GDDR5 SDRAM
so it will fit and work fine even a little streaped but fine !!!

Thanx to everyone for advices and help, now I anderstand PCI-e specs ; LONG LIFE FOR TOMSHARDWARE !!!

[/edit]

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS