Really strange pc problem, need advice

Jan 16, 2019
Le build:
-Win10 OS
-ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO - Intel Z370 - Intel LGA1151 socket - DDR4 RAM - ATX
-Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 DC 16GB
-Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SSD - 250GB
-Seagate BarraCuda 3.5" ST1000DM010 Harddrive - 1 TB - 3.5" - 7200 rpm - SATA-600 - 64 MB cache
-MSI GeForce GTX 1080 ARMOR OC - 8GB GDDR5X RAM
-Cryorig H7 CPU Air Cooler
-Corsair RM650x v2 (2018) PSU - 650 Watt - 140 mm - 80 Plus Gold (first)/Seasonic Focus Plus 650 Gold (second, currently in use)
-NZXT S340 - Black / Red Kabinet

Right, so I got this new pc around october last year, it ran smooth with 0 issues for about a month until this happened. At some point, the pc will sound like it shuts down, low-pitch, short and scratchy beep, from inside the pc tower, but it will continue to run normally for a while.

Usually, it'll 'turn on' if I try to open a drive, save a file, open x or y program (doesn't matter which, regardless of if it's on the ssd or hdd), open music player, play music, etc, or it'll simply do it after some time has elapsed, nothing exactly conrete. When it does this however, it varies what happens. First of all the sound from the pc tower, that happens every single time.

Usually, whatever sound playing through the speakers, will stick on the note it was on when it happened and stay that way for around 5-8 seconds and resume if it's not youtube, screen will freeze, mouse will sometimes freeze, other times won't, but can't click or highlight anything. Youtube videos almost always just hitches and stops working, reloading the page makes it resume as normal. The only game it has 'crashed' so far has been warframe, where the game still technically runs, except the window is invisible. I'm technically still in game, but I can see my desktop, taskbar, other windows etc, warframe still on the taskbar as opened and running, but magically absconded into the digital sunset.

-I've scanned for malware with Malwarebytes (UTD), avg antivirus, both clean.
-Intel Diagnostics clean.
-Scanned both ssd and hdd, both normal.
-Replaced PSU, which made these episodes slightly milder for now, but they're still on-going.
-There has been nothing in the log related to these episodes.

Only things that haven't been tried yet is mem-test and clean reboot, but from the people I've asked, it doesn't indicate a software problem, but a hardware problem. I wouldn't know though, pretty much the John Snow of pc's. I can of course send it to the shop for a repair, but that is not an option currently because no money until next month.

Also not sure about tags. I apologize if filing is lacking.

Solution
Maybe it's the HDD being put to sleep and causing problems? Try going into the power plan and just set "put hard disks to sleep" = "never" and see if that fixes the problem.

The first things I point my finger at for any PC problem are:
1) faulty RAM
2) temp problems
Maybe it's the HDD being put to sleep and causing problems? Try going into the power plan and just set "put hard disks to sleep" = "never" and see if that fixes the problem.

The first things I point my finger at for any PC problem are:
1) faulty RAM
2) temp problems

Solution
Jan 16, 2019

I've been monitoring temps like a hawk, nothing was out of order there.
I've disabled disc sleep settings now, will check if it fixes.

Thanks a bunch for the reply!

Jan 12, 2019
1 youtube and mouse freeze is a good sign hdd or ssd is bad.
2: check and test with different power supply ( PSU ) it can be that.

3: do this final take gpu out disconnect all hdd ssd and keep 1 hdd or ssd connected mainly windows.
boot and test open files se if it all works then slowly put parts in 1 by 1.

4 cpu temp bad thermal paste

Jan 16, 2019

I feel so incredibly stupid for buying a new psu instead of asking here first, but this was the solution.

Why does this setting even exist...?

Thanks so much for saving me from more headaches though!

Jan 16, 2019

Agreed, and I'll def. remember if something similar happens again. Saves me the stress and buying a new PSU. xD