[SOLVED] Realtek 8812BU Property Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2021
My WiFi adapter is a Realtek 8812BU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC, installed on a Dell XPS 8930 with Windows 11.

I cannot find any guide to the property settings in Device Manager > Properties > Advanced.

Does anyone know where I can find a guide which specifies what the meanings and values for each setting are?

I am trying to set it to prefer 5GHz as it keeps dropping into 2.4GHz which is a low-quality signal.

Solution
Not all drivers have that setting. There are some for example that let you limit the channel width to say 20 or 40 but again not all have the option.

They key way to do this is put different ssid on the 2.4 and 5g radio on the router. When the SSID is the same most device will always choose the 2.4g signal because they base the choice on signal level not how much bandwidth is available.

If you do not control the router you can not change this. I really hate that they keep dumming down stuff. People are too lazy to choose between 2 different SSID because then they have to learn something. Router manufactures cater to these lazy people by making the SSID the same by default on some routers.

kanewolf

Titan
My WiFi adapter is a Realtek 8812BU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC, installed on a Dell XPS 8930 with Windows 11.

I cannot find any guide to the property settings in Device Manager > Properties > Advanced.

Does anyone know where I can find a guide which specifies what the meanings and values for each setting are?

I am trying to set it to prefer 5GHz as it keeps dropping into 2.4GHz which is a low-quality signal.
Do you have control of the WIFI signal?
You may not be able to force the 5Ghz connection if the 2.4Ghz signal is stronger

Nov 18, 2021
No, but I don't think there is a marked difference in signal strength.
On other drivers I have found clear options to prefer one band and set conditions for switching. On this one the options are obscurely worded (at least to me), the setting choices aren't intuitive - so I was searching for a spec.

I have just emailed their USA Support, maybe they will have one. Their online manual is not helpful and treats Win 7 as the latest version, so it is very out of date!

Last edited:
Not all drivers have that setting. There are some for example that let you limit the channel width to say 20 or 40 but again not all have the option.

They key way to do this is put different ssid on the 2.4 and 5g radio on the router. When the SSID is the same most device will always choose the 2.4g signal because they base the choice on signal level not how much bandwidth is available.

If you do not control the router you can not change this. I really hate that they keep dumming down stuff. People are too lazy to choose between 2 different SSID because then they have to learn something. Router manufactures cater to these lazy people by making the SSID the same by default on some routers.

Solution
Nov 18, 2021
Thank you for your suggestions. I emailed RealTek support 11 days ago, no acknowledgement or reply.
Switching the Wifi off and on again seems to work after a few goes, not exactly hi-tech but - oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.