Realtek HD Audio Not Working! Only Recieving Sound From HDMI Cable

barron14

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Hi,

I recently built my new pc there during the week and everything is working perfectly apart from the sound. I have updated all the sound drivers numerous of times and still unable to hear sound. Windows is detecting that there is speakers connected even when there is not any connected.

The only way I have been able to hear sound is when I hook up a HDMI cable from my graphic card into my monitor but I am unable to connect a microphone to my PC and receive sound.

The last two days I have been looking around the internet and looking for anyone that is having the same problem and there is barely one person.

On my BIOS it shows to audio options; HD audio for front panel or AC97. I have changed them around numerous of times to see could I get sound and got no luck whatsoever.

I have looked up on the internet for the 'HD Audio and AC97' and they both seemed to be motherboard connectors. I have neither of those named on the audio connector in my pc case , the audio connector in my pc case is just named 'Audio' and its a 9 pin connector.

I am wondering would that be the problem as to why I am not receiving sound from my motherboard?

PC Spec:
Intel i5 3470s
Asus P8H61 LX R.20
4gb DDR3 Ram
500gb Hitachi HDD
Radeon 6850 1GB
600w PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Solution
Disable the HDMI output in control panel>sound options by right clicking on it and selecting disable. Connect a pair of headphones to the main output jack (green) on the rear panel and right click on the output in sound options and select test. See if you hear anything. If not I would RMA the board and try again.

barron14

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I got different results for my microphone when I changed the sound front panel connections in the realtek audio manager. Pictures included below;

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I also got different results when I changed around the advanced setting in the realtek audio manager.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I still was unable to hear any sound from the microphone though.

barron14

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

Nope not at all. I dont understand it at all. Would it be a motherboard problem?

You probably have your default sound device set to the Radeon HD 6850 which has Realtek Audio on the video card for HDMI output. You need to go to the Windows 7 Control Panel and the "manage sound devices" section because you have more than one sound device.

You would need an old PC case for a front panel audio connection with AC97. HD Audio has been out since 2006.

barron14

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

I had it connected in the rear mic port the whole time

barron14

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

The realtek audio sound drivers for the motherboard have never worked as I have never received sound from the motherboard at all. The only was I was able to receive sound was from the graphic card to a monitor using HDMI, so thats my default sound device at the moment. I have enabled and disabled all of the sound devices many times and still wasnt able to get sound. I want to get the realtek audio drivers working so I can use a microphone and so on.

My motherboard has a AAFP internal connector. My PC case has only an audio connector named 'Audio' (10-1 connector). I believe many peoples PC cases audio connectors are either AC97 or HD Audio. Would that be the main reason I am receiving no sound through my PC?

Go to the Windows 7 Control Panel / Hardware and Sound / Sound / and then select "manage audio devices". You have more than one audio device.

HD 6850
Specifications:
◾Integrated HD audio controller
◦Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI or DisplayPort with no additional cables required
◦Supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6850/pages/amd-radeon-hd-6850-overview.aspx#2

barron14

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

Yes but I have the AMD as my default audio device? I'm sorry you have me a bit confused, I know I have more than one audio device... so what are you suggesting me to do? disable them or remove them?

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Unplug the FP connector from the board too and see if that has any impact on the sound working also (assuming you have set CP to have Realtek as the default sound and comms device).

If that does not work let us know.

-Raja

barron14

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

Hi,
Sorry for the long reply. Yesterday I backed up all my files and did a fresh copy of windows on my hard drive hoping that would hopefully solve the sound problem but unfortunately it hasn't. I am still only able to receive sound from my graphic card through the HDMI cable.

I had unplugged the audio connector from the motherboard and I didn't notice any change at all. The realtek audio seems to be still working and responding but without sound.

I am starting to wonder would I need a new pc case with the 'HD Audio' connectors or 'AC'97' for the motherboard or even buy a sound card?.... Or possibly could it just be a motherboard problem?

My last motherboard was a Gigabyte socket 775 board and that had an audio connection right beside the back panel jacks and that worked perfectly. I am using the same pc case as I did for my last motherboard (with the same audio connector) and that had VIA HD audio.
sound installed.

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Disable the HDMI output in control panel>sound options by right clicking on it and selecting disable. Connect a pair of headphones to the main output jack (green) on the rear panel and right click on the output in sound options and select test. See if you hear anything. If not I would RMA the board and try again.

Solution