[SOLVED] Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller ethernet issues

May 11, 2021
So i recently bought a Legion T5-26AMR5 Desktop and its currently having constant ethernet issues.
I have a 1GBs ethernet connection established from my ISP.
I am able to use the internet with no issues, but whenever i am using game launcher ( Origin, Ubisoft Connect, Battle net, Steam, the connection drops a few times when trying to login and sets me to the offline status. After multiple attempts it works but with intermittent relapses.
When i am trying to play games like BF1 or COD Warzone i need to refresh MANY times to login to the game. I have issues trying to enter games but as soon as i enter i have no more issues, i will not get logged off nor will i lose connection.
I am able to install games from steam / battlenet with no issues and HIGH mb ( 25 - 60 mb )
I tried doing speedtests, they WORK but there are moments where the connection to the server is not made and i need to try again.

Things i have tried so far:

• Reinstalled driver
  • Reinstalled adapter
  • Tried different ethernet cables
  • Updated Bios
  • Updated Windows 10
  • Tried using WIFI
  • Tried switching to 1.0 GB full duplex
  • Switching DNS servers
  • Tried pinging sites, default gateway, NO packets are dropped
  • Turned off firewall
  • Tried tracert, connection are established to ISP but there are some packets that time out and the connection becomes established after a bit of time after passing the ISP stage
  • Tried following steps from: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ro/en/...termittent-wireless-connection-windows-7-8-10 - nothing worked
  • Checked pingtest.com - all OK but takes a bit to begin

I presume that the realtek ethernet port from the motherboard has issues establishing connections to different servers from games / sites? I am not sure at all as to why.
Is this related to the motherboard ethernet port? Do i need to have it checked with my warranty? I want this to be my last resort.

Last edited:
Solution
It is not likely that you have a bad port and the drivers are pretty simplistic so they almost never are the source of the problem. I have not checked your but if you have 2.5gbit ethernet ports those have seen issues lately.

In general it sounds like you have a DNS problem but you have changed that and it can be many other things. You want to manually set the dns to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 in your PC nic settings. In addition to something like the ISP DNS being a issue most routers act as proxy and setting it in your pc bypasses that.

To check the port itself open a cmd windows and let a constant ping run to your router ip. When you see issues in other application you can check this windows to see if you see packet loss. It...
It is not likely that you have a bad port and the drivers are pretty simplistic so they almost never are the source of the problem. I have not checked your but if you have 2.5gbit ethernet ports those have seen issues lately.

In general it sounds like you have a DNS problem but you have changed that and it can be many other things. You want to manually set the dns to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 in your PC nic settings. In addition to something like the ISP DNS being a issue most routers act as proxy and setting it in your pc bypasses that.

To check the port itself open a cmd windows and let a constant ping run to your router ip. When you see issues in other application you can check this windows to see if you see packet loss. It would be uncommon and is mostly a cable issue. If you get no loss then your port and the cables etc are good and the problem is elsewhere.

Solution
May 11, 2021

To check the port itself open a cmd windows and let a constant ping run to your router ip. When you see issues in other application you can check this windows to see if you see packet loss. It would be uncommon and is mostly a cable issue. If you get no loss then your port and the cables etc are good and the problem is elsewhere.

Got it, thank you very much for your assistance. I have tried constant ping to my default gateway and i see no packets dropping. I can also confirm that it my internet used to worked perfectly using my old computer. The issue started when i switched to this new one. I have also tried different DNS's (Google, Cloudfare etc.) and the issue still persisted. I am thinking of buying a network board separately and see if the issue is with the port or not.

if you get no loss to your router a new board will not help. The ethernet port is pretty stupid it does not understand things like web sites so it ping is good to the router other traffic will also be good

You can try a tool like pathping but you have to be careful to understand the output. Many things it shows are errors are actually a issue with understanding how the testing is being done and is false.

Maybe first try a simple tracert and then ping hop 2 which should be your ISP router. This represents the connection between your house and the ISP and is the most common source of internet problems

You would want to show the ISP that there is no issue ot hop 1 (your router) but you see loss in hop 2. You can continue this process to other hops but the farher you get into the network the harder it is to get fixed.