[SOLVED] Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller stuck at 100mbs

Aug 31, 2019
ok I have a problem yesterday I pulled a new internet cable from my modem to my office (cat 7)

but the problem is that I still receive 100mbps on my pc,

but if I plug the same cable into my laptop I get 250mbps download (exactly what my subscription says)

I also removed and reinstalled the drivers from Realtek, I also set speed and duplex to 1 gigabit, and I started in windows safe mode to see if I can reach those speeds there but unfortunately, I only got 100mbps aslo in there

Solution
There are not many things that can cause this since it is not really a software thing unless you force it to 100mbps with software. This is done mostly at a very low hardware level so the problems always tends to be physical issues.

You either have something wrong with the ports on either end or you have a bad cable. Bad ports you can't fix anyway but lucky it is very rare. It would be nice if a bad cable would just not work but in most the time they work randomly sometime on other machines and sometime just plugging and replugging them fixes it for a while .

It is normally some issue with the end of the cable being just slightly damaged or loose in some way.

There are fake cables that are not pure copper or have small wires...
Aug 31, 2019
Check to be sure "Auto Disable Gigabit" isn't enabled in the drivers.

I don't know why Realtek even put that setting in there, but apparently it's to save less than a watt of energy.

I just looked and I see that it is just switched off, I find it weird that i have that problem, i had a look online and looks like im the only one with this problem

It could be that one of the conductors on the end of that cable is not making a good connection with the jack, because only half of the wires are needed for 10/100 operation. So the easiest thing to try is a new cable, or even reversing the one you've got (as it clearly works at gigabit).

Or else the NIC could just be bad!

There are not many things that can cause this since it is not really a software thing unless you force it to 100mbps with software. This is done mostly at a very low hardware level so the problems always tends to be physical issues.

You either have something wrong with the ports on either end or you have a bad cable. Bad ports you can't fix anyway but lucky it is very rare. It would be nice if a bad cable would just not work but in most the time they work randomly sometime on other machines and sometime just plugging and replugging them fixes it for a while .

It is normally some issue with the end of the cable being just slightly damaged or loose in some way.

There are fake cables that are not pure copper or have small wires that you get strange results because they do not meet the standards for ethernet cables.

Solution
Aug 31, 2019
It could be that one of the conductors on the end of that cable is not making a good connection with the jack, because only half of the wires are needed for 10/100 operation. So the easiest thing to try is a new cable, or even reversing the one you've got (as it clearly works at gigabit).

Or else the NIC could just be bad!

I have changed the cable and nothing still 100mbps, I did also cleaned the port on my pc, there was a little bit of dust but that wasn't the problem either

Aug 31, 2019

There are fake cables that are not pure copper or have small wires that you get strange results because they do not meet the standards for ethernet cables.

I have an electrical background, and I am 100% sure that it is properly connected. and straight just to my standers
and I have a cat 7 SFTP 23awg, and believe me if it wasn't a cat7 I really didn't pull it up to my office

and it must be a bad port why can my laptop with exactly the same cable and port just 250mbps?

Aug 31, 2019
Am I missing something? All OP needs is a cable and directly attaching the laptop to the PC to test if it lights up at 1Gbit.

They don't even need to set a fixed IPv4 address, just to look at the blinky lights
wauw, didn't think of that one going to try that in a few minutes, maybe it is something else

Aug 31, 2019
fixed the problem, after some digging when I saw that the computer and laptop had a gigabyte connection, I started looking in the router itself, did a new software install. and low and behold my computer is getting the 250mbps like it should