Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2020
I have a problem with 2 a motherboards using RTL8111E Ethernet. I'll divide them into 2 different mobos

1) b450 Aorus Elite
I recently bought a new motherboard, CPU and RAM to upgrade my computer (received it on the 6th of August). Installation was a success and everything worked well, until Friday (14th August).
The internet started giving problems on Friday, and I thought it was an issue with my ISP. I decided to change some of my internal fans and moving my DVD ROM from an ASATA to a SATA port.
When I rebooted, the ethernet port's LED's stopped working and it didn't show at all in the device manager.

To give a bit of context, the specs of the system are as follows:

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite ver 1 (bios version F50) (still under warranty)
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (still under warranty)
RAM: 2x G.Skill Ripjaws 3200 mhz 8gb (still under warranty)
GPU: MSI Armored Nvidia GTX 1080
PSU wattage: 750W
5 fans
Chassis: Thermaltake VL800 ver 3 black

The motherboard in question uses the realtek RTL8111E LAN.

Things I have tried to do to fix the issue:
  1. Restart (first and foremost)
  2. Update / reinstall drivers
  3. Reset BIOS
  4. Reset CMOS
  5. Take MOBO battery out for a while
  6. Take RAM out for more than 6 hours
  7. Remove all fans (except CPU fan) and only use 1 SATA device
  8. Check network cables
  9. Try a different OS
None of these solutions worked. The LAN port remains 'dead' and can't be found in the device manager. It does pick up activity on the router, though.
Something I haven't tried is a BIOS flash (using F50) or an ethernet card.

I had to reinstall my old motherboard, CPU and ram and now I can use my computer again (albeit having to reinstall windows 10)

The current motherboard I am using is an old intel dp67de with an i5 2500 3.2ghz cpu and 1333mhz 16gb ram. The system and it's network works, so it's not the cable or router.

2.) MS-7680 ethernet problem
I put the above motherboard in my mother's computer to get her something faster, but when I had to go back using this in my computer, I had to reinstall the motherboard that was in her computer.
The same thing happened with her computer when I put the old one back.
She has an MS-7680 ver 3 motherboard with a pentium g620 CPU, 2gb of ram and a geforce 520 gpu. Her PSU is 450w. She's using windows 7 64bit.
When I reinstalled her old system, I checked for network once I closed the chassis up and the LED's lit up, but after moving it back to her living room, the ethernet port's LEDs stopped lighting up. No activity on either the LEDs or router, but the ethernet controller shows up in device manager. Any attempts to reinstall any driver fails and often refers to "Cannot find ethernet controller. If the ethernet is in DEEP SLEEP mode, please plug" error.
Aside from trying another OS and trying to reinstall the driver, we haven't tried much to try and figure out what the problem is with this mobo.

The second mobo has been fixed.

If you need any more information, I'll try and provide what I can. I'm at my wit's end and have no idea what to do.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020
You said everything was working well and then "the internet started giving problems". Can you explain what those problems were?
Does "Ethernet" show up in "Settings > Network Connections"?

I had some connectivity issues that started around 5:45pm. Since that time, I had intermittent issues which forced me to use Linux on mobo 1 with a tethered cinnection from my phone to complete some work.
When I logged back into windows, the internet seemed fine, but kept dipping.
Now, mobo 1 is new, so it shouldn't have any problems, at least not normally.
I was planning to do 2 things over the weekend. One was to plug my dvd rom out of the asata and into the free sata slot, the other being to swap my fans around for better control over cooling inside my system.
I decided to do it that Friday night. After I did, the ethernet port stopped eorking, but the rest of the motherboard showed no issues.
It's when I tried to solve the issues I listed in my original post.
The ethernet controller didn't show up at all with mobo 1 after the port LEDs stopped. It picked up on the router, but nowhere else.

Mobo 2 is an old mobo and it was very dusty. I cleaned it out a bit using a brush as getting tin air rn is really difficult. I put this mobo back into the old computer and when I booted it, the LEDs lit up. I switched it off and carried on working on my own pc, putting my old mobo (a dp67de mobo) and parts back. (the do67de system is working)
Now, with mobo 2 (ms 7680), the ethernet port doesn't show activity on the LEDs or router, but it shows an ethernet controller in device manager.

Aug 15, 2020
The second MOBO has been fixed!
We reset the bios, left it off for a while and reinstalled the driver from the vendor's page

Now, I still don't know what to do with mobo 1 (the b450 aorus elite)
The only adapters that show are the WAN adapters. no other ethernet adapter, even uninstalled, shows up. I have, for the moment, packed it away.

The second MOBO has been fixed!
We reset the bios, left it off for a while and reinstalled the driver from the vendor's page

Now, I still don't know what to do with mobo 1 (the b450 aorus elite)
The only adapters that show are the WAN adapters. no other ethernet adapter, even uninstalled, shows up. I have, for the moment, packed it away.
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller should show up in the "Peripherals" section of your B450 Aorus Elite motherboard BIOS. If it does not appear perhaps the LAN chip is damaged. Since this is a new motherboard you can always contact Gigabyte Customer Support on their website and they will give you an RMA (return merchandise authorization). Gigabyte motherboards have a 3 year warranty.

158724083_bios.jpg

Aug 15, 2020
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller should show up in the "Peripherals" section of your B450 Aorus Elite motherboard BIOS. If it does not appear perhaps the LAN chip is damaged. Since this is a new motherboard you can always contact Gigabyte Customer Support on their website and they will give you an RMA (return merchandise authorization). Gigabyte motherboards have a 3 year warranty.

158724083_bios.jpg
Thank you for your reply. The mobo is currently back in its packaging while I have the old dp67de installed. I'll take another look at this, this coming weekend.

Aug 15, 2020
I wasn't able to find the controller anywhere in the bios settings. I guess that means that it has died. I'll send it back for a replacement. Thank you for your help.

Sep 3, 2020
I have exact same problem with a Msi B550 Mortar Wifi, Only showing wan drivers and still get internet on wifi, should i return it? Because i saw that is not a solution haha

Aug 15, 2020
I have exact same problem with a Msi B550 Mortar Wifi, Only showing wan drivers and still get internet on wifi, should i return it? Because i saw that is not a solution haha
Check to see if your GBE LAN is up in your bios. If not, then it's probably an issue with the LAN chip. If it does, then you could try reinstalling the appropriate driver as a start.

Sep 3, 2020
Check to see if your GBE LAN is up in your bios. If not, then it's probably an issue with the LAN chip. If it does, then you could try reinstalling the appropriate driver as a start.
My Lan chip its bad.. The real problem is that i buy that board on Usa but now im on South America so it will be expensive send it back...

Status
Not open for further replies.