RealTek Sound Chip

garystan1952

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
The RealTek Onboard Sound Chip is a piece of trash. Those %$*!+@ over in China REALLY screwed up manufacturing this chip. It's on my Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H Moterboard. And, because of that I will NEVER buy another Gigabyte board !!!!!!!
garystan1952

garystan1952

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Thanks guys :
Sorry about that........but this RealTek I have is terrible. According to the specs for the Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H...."RealTek Audio, High Definition Audio, 2/5.1/7.1 Channel, Support for S/PDIF Output ", and a note that in order to have 7.1 Channel audio, I must have HD Front Panel Audio Module installed. I was looking at the modules, and it seems easier to just install a sound card.
garystan1952

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Either you got a bad sound chip or you were expecting too much from a mass produced on-board sound chip. The Gigabyte board is an excellent board and the Realtek chip is the same one used on almost every board manufactured today. VIA is another sound chip manufacturer, and their chips can be found on some/most Asus boards. But from my experience, they are no better or worse than Realtek. And they treat 7.1 the same way.

5.1 is easily accomplished via the rear ports, but yes it does take more ports to do 7.1. Most folks that are serious enough about surround sound to go with that many speakers would opt for a discrete card anyway. You wouldn't have gotten any better on-board sound chip no matter what MB you would have chosen.

garystan1952

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
clutch :
I'm just disappointed. My other computer which still works....I keep it as a backup has an AMD Motherboard...with no sound card, and the same Creative Labs speakers that still have works great on that one.
Thanks
garystan1952

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If there's a noticeable difference in sound quality between your old MB's sound and the new one, you have a right to RMA the board for a replacement (if possible). If no longer possible to RMA the board to the retailer, contact Gigabyte. They should stand behind their board. Your new MB soundchip should sound at least as good as the old one.

garystan1952

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
clutchc :

I'm going to, first, try installing a dedicated sound card (disabling the onboard sound). And see what kind of sound is possible. From what Gigabyte says, that ALL Gigbayte boards, natively, have only 2-channel sound (not 2.1 Channel).
The main reason I'm pushing so hard on this machine, is that 1) It's an Intel, 2) it's got a 3.3 Mhz processor---faster than my old machine. The graphics on this machine are a lot faster. Anyway.........................................
Thanks
garystan1952

TechAdvancment

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

Just as are GPUs.