Rear Audio Jack Extension

MeesterYellow

Honorable
Jan 12, 2017
Hello,

I want to plug my Turtle Beach PX22 Headset in the back of my Desktop but it's occupied by my Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II. My speaker is for listening to game/general audio and my headset is for chatting. Is there a USB adapter you guys recommend using? Is there another way to extend the audio jacks without buying a sound card? I looked online for one and found the Sound Blaster Play! 2. If I should get this, should I use it on my speakers or my headset?

Specs (if anyone is wondering):

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI X99A Raider ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive and Hitachi 2TB 7400RPM HDD
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming Z 8GB Video Card
Case: NZXT H440 (Matte Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
Wait, really? I didn't think the front and back panel were set up like that. I might have to check this on my rig later. I was never able to get multiple audio streams without adding a sound card.

For your purposes any USB sound device will work. I would just get the cheapest one you can find. Sound cards are extremely small and cheap these days.

https://www.amazon.com/External-Adapter-Optical-Windows-SD-AUD20101/dp/B006SF68P2

Something like that is only 10 bucks and has some neat features built in.

All of these USB devices you see on amazon are little mini sound cards, any would work great for your purpose.

I wouldn't worry about getting a high quality one just for voice comms. Something cheap with a few reviews will be...
? you can extend and split a 3.5mm jack all you want...
But that isn't going to segregate your audio.

In order to that you will need to have an additional soundcard.
Only then will you be able to output the comms to the headset and the remaining audio to the speakers.

You could use a splitter, but that is going to play the same sound through both the headset and the speakers.

MeesterYellow

Honorable
Jan 12, 2017

But I could already have my speaker play general audio and my headset for voice chat via front and back audio ports with Device Manager. I'm just wondering if a USB Audio Adapter is going to add another jack so that I can plug my headset at the back as well rather than the front (cable management, PX22 Cable too long) and what adapter people use.

Wait, really? I didn't think the front and back panel were set up like that. I might have to check this on my rig later. I was never able to get multiple audio streams without adding a sound card.

For your purposes any USB sound device will work. I would just get the cheapest one you can find. Sound cards are extremely small and cheap these days.

https://www.amazon.com/External-Adapter-Optical-Windows-SD-AUD20101/dp/B006SF68P2

Something like that is only 10 bucks and has some neat features built in.

All of these USB devices you see on amazon are little mini sound cards, any would work great for your purpose.

I wouldn't worry about getting a high quality one just for voice comms. Something cheap with a few reviews will be perfect.

Solution

MeesterYellow

Honorable
Jan 12, 2017

I was originally going with the basic SYBA but the handle is so big so I went to look for others and came upon the Sound Blaster Play! 2. Should I get it and use it w/ my speakers since they're both from Creative and use my Turtle Beach with onboard graphics? A software that comes with the Sound Blaster boosts audio effects according to its webpage.

Thanks!