"Reboot and select proper boot device" after new graphics card

TrainBuilder55

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
I have recently reloaded my computer with 64-bit Windows 7 (with 3 partitions). The next day I installed my new graphics card (MSI R9 380 4GB). (I haven't installed the driver yet.) But when I turned on the pc it came up with "Reboot and select proper boot device". I have checked the boot sequence but it just has my two DVD writers. I have checked all the plugs to make sure they are in. Also, I have moved the leads around so that my HDD is on the 1st PCIe socket. Still the same thing though in both the boot sequence in bios and when it comes up with "Reboot and select proper boot device". The motherboard is a Gigabyte z97x-sli-cf.

Any information will be appreciated, thank you.

Solution
I suspected it was a simple connection problem. But since you moved the cables around, the chance of it is much less.
1. Is it a HDD or an SSD? If HDD, can you hear it spin up? Is it getting power?
If not, then try a different power cable and/or reseat the power cable. If still nothing, then your HDD might be dead.
2. try replacing the data cable to the HDD. Try using one of the cables you use for a DVD player. You know those are good cables.
If your HDD works, then you know it's the old cable. If not, then it might be your HDD or controller.

Let us know what you find.
UPDATE: just read your last post. Good - so you know it's just a cable or the controller. Sounds like you're half way to fixing this yourself.

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
disable in any form of integrated graphics built in to the cpu in your bios just enable pcie & checkk that your videocard has enough power getting to it & boot in you should have no issues. The last couple of video cards i have upgraded in my step sons set ups. All i do before i do anything is delete all forms of the graphics card your pulling out you should still have video output but its running on a base videocard no updates. As well for good messure i do a registry & internet clean then power down. Swap the cards power up into bios once you in bios you can enable & disable as you go but i says conflct between the processor as hasnt been stated which if its intel disable integrated graphics only videocard if you have a fresh install of 7 go upgrade to 10 now before it ends will iron out a few more issues

TrainBuilder55

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016

Thank you. I have disabled "Intel Processor Graphics" and tried every option for "Iniatial Display Output". But, it still comes up with "Reboot and select proper boot device" and in the boot sequence there are only my DVD drives shown.
My PSU is the Corsair CX750M and I am providing my power to the GPU using a lead that goes from 8-pin (PSU end) to 2 6pin+2pin connectors (GPU end), is this good enough? (I am only using the 2 6pin connectors for the GPU.)
I have the lead plugged into the top right socket. UPDATED parts

TrainBuilder55

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016

Do I need to unplug my DVD drives as well? Thank you.

TrainBuilder55

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016

I have tried taking the graphics card out but it just did the same thing as before.

I have tried my hard drive in my spare xp computer and it works so I am pretty sure that it is just a dodgy connection which was the same problem I had when I first built it. Thank you for all of your help.

jdlech

Honorable
May 31, 2016
I suspected it was a simple connection problem. But since you moved the cables around, the chance of it is much less.
1. Is it a HDD or an SSD? If HDD, can you hear it spin up? Is it getting power?
If not, then try a different power cable and/or reseat the power cable. If still nothing, then your HDD might be dead.
2. try replacing the data cable to the HDD. Try using one of the cables you use for a DVD player. You know those are good cables.
If your HDD works, then you know it's the old cable. If not, then it might be your HDD or controller.

Let us know what you find.
UPDATE: just read your last post. Good - so you know it's just a cable or the controller. Sounds like you're half way to fixing this yourself.

Solution

TrainBuilder55

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016

Thank you, I have found out that the problem was a connection with the PSU, which is one of the leads that I didn't change around. All of the system is now working. Sorry I didn't respond quickly.