Reboot and Select Proper Boot device after Windows 10 Clean usb install on brand new SSD

May 26, 2018
So after I added a 860 evo 500gb to my system I tested the drive for any errors, I have placed files on it and it all worked fine. After that I decided to install my windows on that SSD from an USB and after the install and everytime when I boot it up using my SSD where the new windows is installed one I get the message Reboot and select proper boot device...

CPU: i7 4790k 4.0ghz
RAM: 16GB
GPU: MSI GTX 1080 8GB
SSD: Samsung 860 evo 500GB
MOBO: Gigabyte B85-HD3

Things that I have tried:

Using different sata cables/ports
Using different power cables
Reinstalling windows on the ssd
Formating everything on the drive
Bootrec /fixmbr which prompts me "A device attached to the system is not functioning."
Bootrec /fixboot which prompts me "Access denied"
Used diskpart commands like clean, create partition, active etc.
Bootrec.exe /scanos which prompts me "succesfully scanned windows installations. Total identified windows installations: 0..."
Bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd which prompts me the same result as /scanos.
Chkdsk and sfc scannow which didnt show any bad sectors
Setting boot priority to the SSD

Bios boot settings:
Windows 8 features: Other os
Boot mode selection: eufi and legacy mode
Storage boot option control: legacy first (have tried legacy only and eufi only too)
Fast boot: disabled

I am clueless here to what the cause/fix may be, anything is very appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Solution
I wonder if its the ssd itself. Can you put ssd into another PC and see if it shows up in disk management? If it does, can you take a screen shot, upload to an image sharing site and show a link here? knowing what partitions are on it will let me figure out how to boot from it.

Did you have win 7 on this PC before? I suspect Windows 8 features should be another setting, shame manual doesn't list the choices. Other OS matches Win 7 boot type, you probably want win 8 boot type as it is UEFI

When you install onto ssd, is it only drive in the PC?

Colif

Win 11 Master
is the motherboard revision 1, revision 2, revision 2.1 or revision 2.2? (not sure if there is a great difference manual wise)

Boot Option Priorities
Specifies the overall boot order from the available devices. For example, you can set hard drive as the first priority (Boot Option #1) and DVD ROM drive as the second priority (Boot Option #2). The list only displays the device with the highest priority for a specific type. For example, only hard drive defined as the first priority on the Hard Drive BBS priorities submenu will be presented here.
Removable storage devices that support GPT format will be prefixed with "UEFI:" string on the boot device list. To boot from an operating system that supports GPT partitioning, select the device prefixed with "UEFI:" string.

quote from page 25 of manual on the BIOS Features tab of bios. Win 10 uses UEFI so you may need this info I have bolded.

Storage boot control, not sure about this one, have you tried UEFI first?

May 26, 2018

The mobo I am currently using is a rev 2.

quote from page 25 of manual on the BIOS Features tab of bios. Win 10 uses UEFI so you may need this info I have bolded.
The problem with this is that I only see the ssd in the boot menu as P0: Samsung 860 EVO (or something similar), there is only a EUFI prefix on my bootable USB (And one without, but I installed the OS using the EUFI boot mode of the USB and not the boot mode without because I couldnt get past the partition overview step of the installation due to an error "We couldnt create or locate an existing partition" which I tried to fix with diskpart comands).

Storage boot control, not sure about this one, have you tried UEFI first?
Yes and it prompts me the same error (Reboot and select).

I have also looked at the file contents of the SSD and it seems like its a standard clean install of windows.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder if its the ssd itself. Can you put ssd into another PC and see if it shows up in disk management? If it does, can you take a screen shot, upload to an image sharing site and show a link here? knowing what partitions are on it will let me figure out how to boot from it.

Did you have win 7 on this PC before? I suspect Windows 8 features should be another setting, shame manual doesn't list the choices. Other OS matches Win 7 boot type, you probably want win 8 boot type as it is UEFI

When you install onto ssd, is it only drive in the PC?

Solution