Reboot and Select proper boot device (Boot order not working)

shloogor

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
I know someone only recently spoke about this, but I think my problem is going differently form theirs. I have an MSI z97 gaming 7 motherboard, SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD, and a Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD. I installed them the day before posting this, and when I set them up, everything went fine for a few hours.
However, I think something got past my anti virus software, as my SSD (which only had about 50 gigs filled) blew up to 100 gigs, my cpu was at 90%, and my antivirus software couldn't find anything wrong. I tried to load a previous state, but my computer ran into an error where it claimed the bootmgr was missing. I attempted to fix this by re-installing the OS, but when I try to plug in my HDD (Which has backed up programs and drivers), I encounter the error message "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device".
I know this meas that it is trying to boot from the HDD, but when I enter the bios to try and change the boot order, it does nothing and I encounter the same message. Now I have to re-install the OS again (because it does not want to be repaired when I choose the option). Any help would be very appriciated.

popatim

Titan
IS the SSD detected in the Bios?
If it is I would secure erase it using the sandisk toolkit and then reinstall windows while having the HDD disconnected.

If windows was installed with the HDD connected its likely that boot files were written to it and now if either drive drops out then you can no longer boot.

You may need to test both drives for errors. I believe the Toolkit can test the SSD and seagate also has basic testing software available for their drives: http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

shloogor

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

No, windows was installed on the SSD, I merely backed up and made a system image on the HDD. I'ts just that when I go into the BOIS and try to change the boot order, I get that error.I have already gone through the process of re-installing windows and the drivers. I'll try to test the SSD for errors, though I don't want to connect my HDD because I'm afraid I'll have to re-install the OS (again). Let me know what you think.