Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key.

slayasheep

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017
I got a new m.2 SSD at christmas and have been using it as my OS boot device and storage since then. Once in the past month i have experienced this problem where it gives me this message. The time i did get this, i didnt think anything of it and rebooted my pc, all was fine. Today i was on the pc and then i got a blue screen from windows. My pc gave me this message agin but this time when i went to reboot it did not work. I have tried to reboot 50+ times and it still hasnt booted. I went into the bios and my motherboard recognises that my m.2 is connected. I have made sure that the drive had boot priority.

I have tried:

• Clearing the CMOS
    Unplugging all connected cables
    Updating the Msi bios to latest version

My Specs:

• Ryzen 7 1700
    Msi gaming pro x370 motherboard
    Gtx 1070 gigabyte g1 gaming
    16gb 3000mhz Ram

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from slayasheep : "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device"

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
make sure you don't have any USB drives (thumb or other external) connected. These often will take boot priority and produce this error 'randomly'. If this is the issue, it can be fixed by adjusting the boot order in the bios.

slayasheep

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017

I have tried this. I just keep getting the same error.

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
Try disconnecting and reconnecting your SSD data cable from the drive and motherboard as well as power to the drive. It's possible a cable just isn't making good contact. If that doesn't work, I'd try to boot from windows install media and recover the boot partition (repair). If you can get into windows, run Crystal Disk and check for drive errors to see if your SSD is failing.

slayasheep

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017

I have no connected cables to my ssd as it is an M.2 ssd. It plugs straight into the motherboard already. Where do i get windows install media?

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
Sorry, you said that. Still, i'd re-seat the card. You may also want check to see if a bios update would help. There is also a bios update listed on the MSI website that says it improves Intel M.2 compatibility.

I assume you purchased a copy of windows when you built the machine, otherwise the vendor should be able to provide media for your license.