Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

Nov 17, 2018
Windows 8.1 entered into automatic repair loop. So I inserted NEW windows installation media DVD (downloaded from microsoft website).

what I did ?
Disabled UEFI. Boot priority is set to optical drives then Hard drive. Reconnected cables.

After inserting it says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

64 Bit
intel processor
2 GB RAM

please help how can I open my computer

Thank you in advance.

Go back into the bios and make sure that CSM, compatibility support module is selected AND that the DVD drive is selected as the first or second boot device in the boot order list. Then save the bios settings and exit the bios, after POST it should find the boot device. If it does not, then there is either a problem with your boot device, a further configuration problem in the bios or your installation media is lacking.

It might actually be necessary to reset the bios to the default configuration by using any of several methods to clear CMOS. The best is always to remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard or the motherboard wiring connector if it is a laptop equipped with one, for five minutes, then reinstall the CMOS battery and go back into the bios again.

Honestly, unless there is a reason for doing so such as your computer will not boot from optical or usb media with them enabled, I'd actually enable UEFI mode and make sure that CSM is turned off, as well as that Windows 8.1/10 are selected as OS type, all in the bios, so that it installs windows in a UEFI configuration using a GPT partition file table rather than an older style MBR partition.

If you have a fairly old system that is not UEFI compatible and has a legacy BIOS rather than a UEFI bios, then you want to not set it up that way obviously.