[SOLVED] "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media"

Dec 18, 2021
Hello,
a few days ago, while I was rebooting my computer after updating windows, my CPU died, such amazing luck. I am sure of this because I replaced the PSU, MOBO and RAM. After changing all of this components my pc wouldn't POST. Today I borrowed a pc from my parents and I insert my SSD. And i have this "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". My disck is visible in BIOS. I set this disk boot priority to 1, this doesn't help. I'm also confused, because I have other HDD disk with installed windows 10 on it that boots windows just fine. I checked all of files on my "broken" SSD and non of the files are missing, I run chkdsk on it. Nothing wrong. I also benchmarked it and it works as fine as I remeber. What's wrong with it then? Sorry for my english it isn't my native language.

My specs:
Motherboard: ASUS P7H55/USB3
CPU: i3 530
RAM: Kingstone 2x4GB.
SSD: Trion 100 240GB
HDD: Seagate 250GB.

Solution
  1. You can't just slap your SSD in a different PC and expect it to work.
  2. Why you're seeing the "reboot and select..." is probably because you installed the OS on your SSD, while you had the HDD connected. This resulted in the small boot partition ending up on the HDD> Nothing you chose, it just does that.
Lacking BOTH drives, it won't boot.
But, even with both drives, it is unlikely to boot. Windows is not modular like that....you can't just move an installed OS between systems.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. You can't just slap your SSD in a different PC and expect it to work.
  2. Why you're seeing the "reboot and select..." is probably because you installed the OS on your SSD, while you had the HDD connected. This resulted in the small boot partition ending up on the HDD> Nothing you chose, it just does that.
Lacking BOTH drives, it won't boot.
But, even with both drives, it is unlikely to boot. Windows is not modular like that....you can't just move an installed OS between systems.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Further, you initial change of PSU, motherboard and RAM would also cause a not boot situation.
Either simply the different motherboard, or possibly your CPU is not compatible with the new motherboard and its BIOS.

It is very unlikely that your CPU has "died".

Dec 18, 2021
Sorry, I forgot to say that of course I disconnected the other disk and it didin't change anything. While both disks are connected to mobo at the same time pc boots OS just fine but from the HDD, I would like it to boot from SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry, I forgot to say that of course I disconnected the other disk and it didin't change anything. While both disks are connected to mobo at the same time pc boots OS just fine but from the HDD, I would like it to boot from SSD.
Still quite confused.

I think we need a full rundown of what you have and what you did.

From original working condition to now.
All parts, step by step.

Dec 18, 2021
How can it not be a CPU?? Week ago while I was cleaning my SSD deleting temporiary files, updating drivers I don't remember which driver, sound card for sure and I downloaded and installed windows update I just clicked on it so i also don't remeber what was it I think it doesn't really matter or does it? The restart was needed I restarted my pc and went outsied for around 20 minutes after i came back i saw black screen only my fans were spinning and rgb lightning up. I have done hard reset two times this didin't helped. After that i have checked all of my cables, didin't helped. Repleced with a new PSU, didin't helped either. New MOBO, also didn't help. New RAM nothing. Maybe cpu death while restarting after windows update touched the OS files?
Today I borrowed a pc from my parents and I insert my SSD. Firstly without connecting my other disk i tried to boot my computer it would not. I changed boot priority in BIOS settings. This also didin't help.
And that's what I stopped on.

Dec 18, 2021
I know that CPUs rarealy fails. I thought that I was becouse of the thermal paste on its pins. Last time i was changing my thermal pase was month ago, so it was running fine with it.
Coming back I gently cleaned the bottom of the CPU with microfiber and extraction gasoline. The i place my CPU in to the socket again. Still no POST.

Dec 18, 2021
If we are continuing the processor thread i have arleady told You the timeline.
PSU: Zalman 600LX (using it right now, checked the voltage on ATX24 pin cable everyting perfect on ATX4 pin the one that gives direct power to the CPU was good as well. - While testing I switched to iBox SL 8500BTX 500W
MOBO: MSI H110 M PRO-VH switched to GIGABYTE H310M H
CPU: i5 6400 with fabric cooler (the CPU that "DIED")
RAM: Crucial 8GB 2x4 2133Mhz i'm not sure of it's timings switched to Goodram 1x4GB 2400Mhz CL17
GPU: GiGABYTE GTX 1050 ti 4GB Windforce
Would you like to know something else in CPU topic? Please help

This resulted in the small boot partition ending up on the HDD> Nothing you chose, it just does that
You do choose the first hdd in the boot order and windows installs the boot files to the first hdd in the boot order.
Makes sense after all to have your boot files on the hdd the system boots up from.
I changed boot priority in BIOS settings. This also didin't help.
And that's what I stopped on.
Start your system with the windows installation media and get into recovery, there you can choose startup repair, you might have to run this several times until the automated process picks up on all the issues and fixes them.
As the others already said, don't expect your system to run without issues or even at all on different hardware, you might get lucky and it might but it's by far not guaranteed.
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/boot-or-repair-windows-10-using-the-installation-media

Dec 18, 2021
Now I'm facing this for example if I go to system restore it says this "startup repair was unable to repair the computer" it's same with every other troubleshooting option. It doesn't see OS on my SSD. I've set the 1st boot priority for my USB Installation Media.

DSzymborski

Titan
OMG I'm terribly inattentive this proccesor doesn't support H310 chipset can you confim this to me? So this could be a motherboard failture actully.

Correct. The processor will never work with this motherboard. This is why you won't find the processor on the motherboard's support list, which should always be checked before making a purchase.

And the reason you're not getting much response about the earlier problem is that you still haven't given a detailed and exact timeline of what you did. Your posts have been very difficult to parse.

Dec 18, 2021
Going back to the processor thread.
It was CPU failture. Today i went with my cpu to one of my friends that has a MSI Z270-A PRO mobo and it wouldn't post only fans were spinning. He said that he hasn't used this mobo for a long time so we thought that this can be it's failture. Just to be sure we placeed to it's socket other CPU i3 6300 that I borrowed from my other friend. Still no POST also ez debug pointed to the CPU by lightning up a red light. I can call this 100% CPU "DEAD" after 6 years no overclocking, good temperatures during stress the max temperature that I ever noticed was 135F.
Can you even repair CPU? I mean it's still warming up when you turn the computer on.

Dec 18, 2021
I still need help with my SSD problem, it won't boot Windows 10. What exactly happened? I was restarting my pc after windows update it happened on a different CPU and MOBO than I'm using now. During this restart my CPU failed. Than my computer wouldn't POST, this doesn't matter now, I've placed it into my temporiary pc. And while I try to boot my pc from it I see
"Reboot and select proper boot device".
What have i done?
  • Checking SATA cable and power Cable.
  • Switching SATA ports on mobo.
  • Seting boot priority for my SSD in BIOS settings ofc mobo sees it(disc that i want to boot my OS from).
  • CMOS reset.
I also run CHKDSK after booting my OS from HDD nothing wrong. I checked if any files are missing when I remembered i had 51GB free from 222GB and no of files are missing. I can acces all of them no problem. I benchmarked it it works as good as I remember. I've checked it's paritions with AOMEI Partition Assistant everything OK.
If there is anything unclear please ask.
What else can I do? Please help.
Specs:
PSU: Zalman 600LX
MOBO: ASUS P7H55/USB3
CPU: i3 530
RAM: Kingstone 2x4GB 1333MHz
HDD: Seagate 250GB. (currently using it also has a windows 10 that boots without any problems)
GPU: GiGABYTE GTX 1050 ti 4GB Windforce

Dec 18, 2021
Forgot to add that when I try to repair it with installation media it just doesn't see my OS when i go to system restore trying to repair it I see "startup repair was unable to repair the computer"

Dec 18, 2021
I got this solution from other forum maybe it will help somone in the future.

"You cannot take a storage device that has Windows on it out of one PC, put it into another and expect it to work.

Reason why not, Windows ties to load the drivers for the original motherboard and they will obviously not work with a totally different board.

Solution, keep the present boot drive and use your drive as a second storage device to access your data".