[SOLVED] 'reboot and select proper boot device...'

Apr 5, 2021
Hi guys,

I'd be very grateful if someone could help me out with this problem.

Motherboard: ASUS® TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s)

(context) Since getting my new PC about a month and a half ago ive been dual-booting two seperate windows 10. One which I always use and installed myself, and another unauthorised windows 10 which came with the PC when I had it built. I also have to drives on my PC an ssd and a hdd, the unauthorised windows was on the ssd and the windows which i use regularly is on the hdd. Today i decided to clean up and delete the unauthorised windows and move my regular OS on to the ssd. I used a disk cloner to copy the hdd over to the ssd and a partition manager to merge the remainder once the copying was done (I should also mention that while the copying was taking place i was playing some games on steam, admittedly this was not the best thing although I can't see the effects of this as being too bad).

I decided to restart my PC and attempt to boot it from the ssd to see if it works, I went on to the BIOS, looking at the boot priority I clicked on what was second thinking that might be the other drive (i believe it was IPv6), the screen when black and an error message came up, if I remember correctly it said 'start pxe over IPv4'.

I restarted the PC, went onto the bios and nothing was present on the boot priority. I read some posts online and enabled CSM, this managed to make the hdd and ssd detecable but nevertheless when i tried to boot from them i get the 'reboot and select proper boot device' message. There also doesn't seemto be any windows boot managers present.

Does anyone here know what exactly might be wrong here, and what i could do to solve this issue?

Thank you!

Solution
Thanks.

geez souds pretty bad, it wasn't my choice to dual boot as I was not expecting the to PC to arrive with an unaouthorised windows 10 but with no OS installed instead. It looks like im going to have to reinstall the OS, luckily I still have a usb with the OS from when I originally installed it not so long ago. Any pointers on how I should go about i this time?

Thanks once again

During the install, go to advanced options, you will then have options to delete partition, create new volumes, and format them.

Lutfij

Titan
ive been dual-booting two seperate windows 10
People have a tough time managing the OS in a single form and you had two instances?

Sigh, you should revert to one, not a dual boot for that OS. As it is, that OS doesn't like things if even one or more things are off. Most often it goes belly up.

If Windows Boot Manger is missing from the BIOS boot selection options, then the OS has croaked. You should've reinstalled the OS instead of doing what you did above.

In this instance, create your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools, use that to reinstall your OS with the license key(or not) if you have one. Make sure the BIOS to your motherboard is to the latest beresion.

Apr 5, 2021
Thanks.

geez souds pretty bad, it wasn't my choice to dual boot as I was not expecting the to PC to arrive with an unaouthorised windows 10 but with no OS installed instead. It looks like im going to have to reinstall the OS, luckily I still have a usb with the OS from when I originally installed it not so long ago. Any pointers on how I should go about i this time?

Thanks once again

logainofhades

Titan
Thanks.

Thanks once again

During the install, go to advanced options, you will then have options to delete partition, create new volumes, and format them.

Solution