Reboot loop during and after 3D applications

Nozo Mi

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
Hi all and sorry for what it's gonna be a very long post.

My config

SSD Crucial RealSSD M4 64GB 2.5" Reading 415MB/s Writing 95MB/s Sata3 CT064M4SSD2
RAM DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Low Profile CML8GX3M2A1600C9 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) CL9
PSU PC Modular Corsair Entusiast Series TX550M 550W 80plus Bronze
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Socket 1155 Intel Z77 DDR3 SATA3 USB3 ATX
VGA XFX Ati Amd Radeon HD 7870 DoubleD Core 1GHz Memory GDDR5 4.8GHz 2GB DVI HDMI
CPU Intel Core i5-3450 3,1GHz Socket 1155 77W con GPU Ivy Bridge Boxed
Windows 7 64 SP1
All drivers and BIOS up to date.

Bought around 6months ago, no problems until 1 month ago.

My problem

In the past month, during game sessions, my pc reboot itself all of a sudden, entering an apparently endless loop that can go on up to 1 hour as well. Even if I load into BIOS it would reboot after couple of minutes.
No errors messages, no BSOD, a real hardware reboot as if I manually pressed reset button. Windows event manager, too, reports it as a

(Short translation)
Critical error: unexpected system interruption

Original italian report in case you want to read some meaningless numbers

Nome registro: System
Origine: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Data: 24/03/2013 12:14:57
ID evento: 41
Categoria attività:(63)
Livello: Critico
Parole chiave: (2)
Utente: SYSTEM
Computer: Nuvola
Descrizione: Riavvio del sistema senza un regolare arresto. Questo errore può essere causato da un'interruzione, un arresto anomalo o un'interruzione dell'alimentazione imprevista del sistema.

I cleaned my whole PC last week and reinstalled windows, everything worked fine for 1 week till yesterday night when it started to happen again. And now I can't keep any game running for more than 5min.

Funny facts:

- I play kinda low graphic game that barely require half my GPU power
- I have all the temps under control and they are, during game, as follows

CPU 40-50, GPU 50-60, system 30-40

Memtest: no errors no reboot
CPU stress: no errors no reboot
HDD test: no errors

After the system goes into this loop I have to turn power off and wait 10-15min, then I manage to make it work again. Sometimes I need to wait even more, though.
These symptoms lead to overheating but as I said above temps are just fine even during games.

I noticed something strange, very very strange.
The problem happens not exactly during the gpu work, but after.

I'll give you few examples:

1) MSI Kombustor. GPU load 99%, temp 80° for 10mins. Everything fine.
I turn test off, load goes back to 0, temp starts to go down and here it comes, reboot.

2) LoL. During match, ok most of the rimes, as soon as the match ends, when the victory/defeat screen is popping up, reboot.

3) MMO client windowed, some other apps on background like chrome. I minimize che MMO client or simply switch to other app, reboot.

After all this I would rule out: CPU, HDDs, PSU (otherwise it'd reboot during high workload not after).
The problem lies somewhere between GPU and MOBO. Almost looks as if there were problems with the graphic data flux rather than the graphic workload itself, but I'm not an expert and may be well wrong, that's why I ask for your help.

I'm really going crazy because these symptoms lead to many different ways and all of them turn out to be wrong.

Thank you for everyone who dares to read all this.

Nozo Mi

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013

Thank you very much for your answer. The SSD it's not faulty though, as the problem occurs even with all HDDs plugged off from the mobo.

But, I had actually a very old firmware on my SSD and your post made me update it ;p

I've found 2 old threads experiencing the same issue

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/318824-30-strange-problem-advise-crashes-game-exit
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/295246-28-shuts-exiting-games

so I guess it is due to some strange interaction between my card and my mobo. I'm running with my integrated graphic now and see how it goes.