[SOLVED] Rebooting randomly or under load

Dec 28, 2018
Hello all, I recently decided to take apart, clean and upgrade a few items on my custom built rig. I installed a new motherboard MSI 970 GAMING with all recently used by me components (Corsair 2x8 16Gb of DDR3 mem, CPU AMD 8350 Black, Corsair liquid cooling, Evga R9 390 Video card, SSD & IDE H/D's and all backed by 850w higher end power supply) and after a fresh wipe and install of licensed W10 pro os, I have begun experiencing random reboots with no warning, no blue only occasional system freeze followed by hard reboot. I have checked for hard drive errors, I have reviewed all system and device logs and nothing found. I went ahead and replaced video card, because to me it appeared to be video related, but even with a different card (NVidia 1050Ti) I still experience the reboots. I went ahead and reinstalled all software, still same. I'm running out of options.

Ideas?

Solution

Haven into account the doubt that the power supply was bad, I went ahead and tested it with two of my power supply testers. Both psi testers reported that the psi was okay. I proceeded with my diagnosing through the software logs and I discovered that the problem was the synchronized speed of the the dimms were not matching those the BIOS was allowing. It appears when they would clock higher, it would go above the limit and would cause the system to reboot. I validated this...
Dec 28, 2018
Thanks for your reply, the power supply is and 850w Corsair and is less than two years old. Since the past I have noticed several "Administrative Events" present in the event viewer all warnings pointing to do disk corruption....

C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\wmiaprpl.dll failed with error code.

There were many others similar. I'm currently running System file check (SFC). I'll let you know what I find. In the meantime just in case this takes me no where I'm still open to suggestions.

While that is not a bad PSU per se, it is not one of Corsair's "high end" PSUs, (TXM, RXM,AX), and is only mediochre in the scheme of things. Even the best PSUs have an occasional lemon, so to my mind it is still "guilty until proven innocent".

Dec 28, 2018

Haven into account the doubt that the power supply was bad, I went ahead and tested it with two of my power supply testers. Both psi testers reported that the psi was okay. I proceeded with my diagnosing through the software logs and I discovered that the problem was the synchronized speed of the the dimms were not matching those the BIOS was allowing. It appears when they would clock higher, it would go above the limit and would cause the system to reboot. I validated this theory by replacing the 16gb of dimm with a backup set I had and problem was solved. Thank you everyone for their help but the power supply (quality or value theory) was not the problem.

Solution

Glad you got it working!

Just an FYI on PSU testers: Unless the testers can put a load on the PSU, then their results are questionable at best. I had a PSU tester that said my PSU was good to go. Turned out that only one of my two +12 volt rails was working, So anytime I actually tried to use it, my PC would not boot. A new PSU solved the issue.