News Recall drawing regulatory scrutiny in the UK — Microsoft's AI Copilot+ feature a 'privacy nightmare

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CmdrShepard

Prominent
Dec 18, 2023
For me, it has been that way forever. I have not noticed any change.
It just means you probably started to use VLC after they changed how playlist shows and works. Which is still long time ago, but I used it before it even had a playlist to begin with and only ever opened a single file.
You may have some different default settings.
I can't have any default settings when I've never installed VLC on this system but just now unzipped their portable version to check it out.

That said, good that they changed it, it sucked krogan quads.

CmdrShepard

Prominent
Dec 18, 2023
Personally I’ve been using duck duck go for years and I get about as good as results as any other search engine. I work in IT so I’m using it the majority of the time at work.
I use it on my phone and the results are somewhat worse than Google.
I’ve also used vlc for years. Don’t know anything about them tracking never seen that yet but I’m sure they are no worse than Microsoft or Google and it actually works! What a concept.
I never said anything about tracking -- I said it had an annoying playlist which couldn't be disabled but I see that has been changed.
As far as the K and KN editions, shouldn’t need house for things that shouldn’t be in the os to removed to begin with.
So you are saying OS shouldn't be capable of visiting websites to allow users to download and install applications and shouldn't have a way for them to play their media files out of the box?

Now that's just silly claim.

It's one thing to demand from Microsoft not to force the defaults and not use dark patterns in user interface design to "entice' users to switch back to their programs, but demanding an OS don't have any Microsoft programs is just ridiculous.

CmdrShepard

Prominent
Dec 18, 2023
Why is the claim silly?
Because both a web browser and the functionality for 3rd party apps to display HTML content using a built-in HTML rendering engine should be (and is) a part of every modern OS and so is the ability to view media files.

The problem is not that Microsoft preloads their apps, it's that they abuse OS internals to get tighter integration than the 3rd party apps can get and that they are making it hard for users to switch. Take that away and their apps won't bother anyone.
Put edge and competing browsers in the Microsoft store and let the user decide what they want.
And what are all the people who don't want to use the store supposed to do then? Or the users of Windows versions without the store? Or the users in enterprise environment where store is disabled by policy?

See? It's silly.

As far as the K and KN editions, shouldn’t need house for things that shouldn’t be in the os to removed to begin with.

Exactly, browser choices etc is just a minor inconvenience to Microsoft, as most user will just use whatever Microsoft give them without even thinking about alternatives