Recap: AMD Radeon R9, R7, Mantle, TrueAudio, Social App

Status
Not open for further replies.

I love AMD as you can tell by my own GPU, avatar, and past posts, but from a neutral perspective, that 8-core optimization will really shine next next year on an Haswell-E platform from Intel with DDR4 when the newer games really start to use these optimizations.

dustructo

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
this is funny...AMD's tries to answer back to Nvidia almost 10 months later....with Old tech....mantle.....GLIDE......who remembers that....

dustructo

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
this is funny...AMD's tries to answer back to Nvidia almost 10 months later....with Old tech....mantle.....GLIDE......who remembers that....

zakaron

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
I wonder how this will affect benchmarks? Like if the tester will have a separate graph for Nvidia & ATI on DirectX and then show another for Mantle? I guess we'll have to see how "open" the API will be and if it will truly catch on like they hope.

thanks to Nvidia's 700 series, we have a new GPU standard: 2 new high-ends, re-brand everything else... XD

joking aside, this is more or less what Nvidia actually ended up doing, for similar reasons, namely that AMD now needs to curb the competition's performance lead, and 20nm at TSMC isn't ready yet to meet mass demand. It'll be interesting if the two companies decide to off-set the annual GPU update cycle, and release cards ~6-months from each other instead. it could be optimal in the long run for both companies to have 5-6 months of GPU crown and just trade it off.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
So they're finally coming out with a "GEFORCE EXPERIENCE" app...LOL. Raise your hand if you think they'll get all these new drivers running while still trying to fix the last ones...I don't need any more social crap (ignore it all anyway, have no twitter, facebook, linkedin etc accounts), and I already have an audio card (not onboard).

Whatever, let me know when you get 20nm and a PROVEN track record with drivers again. Until then I'll buy NV's maxwell coming Q1. Free games mean nothing to me when they make ZERO profits which cause crap drivers. I'll take NO GAMES if necessary from NV knowing the cash they make goes INTO DRIVERS!

slomo4sho

Distinguished

Considering that Raptr is a tertiary application and has not impact on drivers...

Jaxem

Honorable

The architecture isn't even new, it's GCN with some optimizations, but the guy was right in that everything besides the 290 and 290x are re-badges...with optimizations to make them better than their predecessors. So the 280x is supposed to be a 7970 re-badge and so forth.

parkerm35

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
"The R9 290 and R9 290X are the only new additions. Everything else is just a re-branding... Wake me up when there is real progress in GPU performance..."

Actually the 260X is also new

Jaxem

Honorable

That's true, i keep forgetting about it since it's so far down the ladder, but that's why it gets the new audio technologies while something like the 280x does not :(

parkerm35

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010

It is unfortunate that more cards weren't brought out with the newer tech (280X), but On the positive side, you will be able to get a 7970GHz with a better boost algorithm, probably making it faster and more power efficient for $299.

Jaxem

Honorable

I'm on the fence about whether to get the great deal that 7970's currently are, or wait and pay a bit more for the 280x...decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.