[SOLVED] Recent lower than usual fps

Jan 19, 2019
As of a couple weeks ago, my fps has been lower than usual in all games. I've tried a few things but still having issues. Replaced power supply, it needed it soon enough anyway. Hard disk wasn't showing so well through tests so picked up an ssd. I've tried two different GPUS and have the same issue with both, amd vs nvidia, uninstalling all drivers with ddu and swapping back and forth.

Current setup
Corsair rmx750 PSU
AMD Phenom II 1055t x6
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16gb 4x4 4gb
EVGA 1060 6gb SC
Samsung EVO860 SSD

Just looking to see if anyone would have any ideas. Memory passed memtest for 8 hours overnight, gpu has passed multiple tests, so has the processor. Thanks everyone

Solution
Maybe a virus, malware or something. The odd thing is the power cpu usage. Cpu and gpu usage seem fine. I'm guess you probably checked for this already. I'm not sure what the exact cause is.

Try running userbenchmark and it shows each parts performance ranking based on the benchmark it performs. It might help single out a specific part. For example it might say gpu is performing in bottom 11th percentile. Here is a link in case you aren't familiar. Maybe someone else reading has a few ideas

https://www.userbenchmark.com
Jan 19, 2019
I’d say about 30 or so FPS lower. On one game it was capped at 90 and holding steady, even used to hold 90 with the old 1gb Radeon card I had which is why I’m lost. CPU usage never hits 100 and temps are always below 60 under load

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
Maybe a virus, malware or something. The odd thing is the power cpu usage. Cpu and gpu usage seem fine. I'm guess you probably checked for this already. I'm not sure what the exact cause is.

Try running userbenchmark and it shows each parts performance ranking based on the benchmark it performs. It might help single out a specific part. For example it might say gpu is performing in bottom 11th percentile. Here is a link in case you aren't familiar. Maybe someone else reading has a few ideas

https://www.userbenchmark.com

Solution
Jan 19, 2019
The only issue with the malware/virus is that it’s a fresh install on a new drive. It sounds like the typical process hiding somewhere, or just a power mode or something. I’ll run that benchmark after work today, I’m pretty sure that’s the one that gave me some good information about my previous hard drive which encouraged the purchase of the new one. Maybe I overlooked something on the list. Thanks for the reply, I’ll post my results later today!

Jan 19, 2019
Sorry for the late response, ram timings weren't correct and tried to update bios= bricked mobo, up and running again, issue is still there so at least its not a bridge on mobo -_- Ran the bench for reference

UserBenchmarks: Game 54%, Desk 46%, Work 35%
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T - 42.6%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB - 76%
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB - 101.6%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4x4GB - 33.4%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P

The processor is running right where it should be, along with hdd, and gpu. Whats interesting is the memory shows 22% for single core sc read/write. I find it strange it may be a simple memory issue after passing various tests, would a low sc write/read mean its just bad RAM? Timings are correct now with other motherboard, 9-9-9-24 with XMP

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
You could try running memtest to rule the ram out. Maybe try taking a couple sticks out and see how games run since that is quicker before a memtws t, but if it runs better or the same you would still want to run memtest.

Jan 19, 2019
Alright guys here with an update. Ran a complete Frankenstein rig setup on a table, running bench marks and switching parts, tracking all numbers. Ends up it’s the processor. Odd thing is, is it’s correct voltage and low temps. I was seeing some posts about recent issues with tons of amd processors about FPS drops. Mine was benching 70-100 FPS lower. Keeping track on updates whether it may be just a chipset issue or just my processor itself. Either way, be sure to test your components in another system and hopefully my long lesson learned can help point someone in the same direction. Thanks all for replies.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
Awesome you figured it out. Any plans to build a new system. Even something like a 2200g, 8gb ddr4 3k mhz and a nice b450 MB would only run about 250$ then just bring the hard drive, gpu, psu and case over.

A 2200g would be perfect to push a 1060. When you are ready down the road and since you buy a decent MB you can just plop in a ryzen 3rd or 4th gen whenever you need that next gpu upgrade.