Question Recent System Lag Spikes (Seeking Diagnosis)

Osomara

Honorable
Sep 2, 2016
So in the last week I've noticed short freezes from 3-15 seconds from my pc happening more and more frequently. The system is one I built myself 3 years ago and has been running more or less stable for that period of time so these freezes are unsettling and are quickly making my pc unusable even for nongaming use.

I did notice that, in contrast to another forum post that I saw with similar issues, my pc's sound doesn't seem to be affected. I am streaming music through youtube fairly regularly so it's not playing media directly from my hard drive.

It does seem like the system is responding to input when these freezes happen and then the display kinda...shows it all happen really fast like it's catching up.
I entertained that maybe they're just screen freezes and ran the GEForce experience to update my graphics drivers to no avail.

To my recollection I noticed these freezes most recently in MTG Arenas, and also Paint.net (a program which is entirely offline despite the .net in it's name) While I was only drawing something simple, these are both tasks that pull a bit more on the graphics end of things so there's that

I have noticed a sound on boot from my pc now. Kind of a hiss? I thought maybe its my liquid cooling system, but now I am wondering if it isn't actually the death throws of my hard drive. I have windows on an ssd but my libraries and most of my programs on a larger hdd and I suspect that guys dying on me.

In my efforts to suss out the issue I have already run a windows memory diagnostic which came up dry, and downloaded and ran OCCT though I am not entirely confident I did it right because I didn't see it say anything about the tests I ran. I'm COMFORTABLE with computers and would probably call myself sort of an "advanced user" but I'm no IT professional, so I turn t this lovely community for advice. For what it's worth, I did manage to write this entire post on the system in question and noticed no issues. Only had Chrome, OCCT, and windows settings open.

Config information to follow

Windows 10 Home ver:21h2

Amd Ryzen 7 3700X 8 core
MSI MPG X570 Edge Wifi
AMD X570 Chipset
Bios 1.70
Row 2 & Row 3 each have a 16 GB PC4-25600 Corsair stick of ram
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming x
st2000dm008 Main Storage
wdbrpg5000anc Disk C and recovery partitions
Corsair cx600 psu

Last edited:
So in the last week I've noticed short freezes from 3-15 seconds from my pc happening more and more frequently. The system is one I built myself 3 years ago and has been running more or less stable for that period of time so these freezes are unsettling and are quickly making my pc unusable even for nongaming use.

I did notice that, in contrast to another forum post that I saw with similar issues, my pc's sound doesn't seem to be affected. I am streaming music through youtube fairly regularly so it's not playing media directly from my hard drive.

It does seem like the system is responding to input when these freezes happen and then the display kinda...shows it all happen really fast like it's catching up.
I entertained that maybe they're just screen freezes and ran the GEForce experience to update my graphics drivers to no avail.

To my recollection I noticed these freezes most recently in MTG Arenas, and also Paint.net (a program which is entirely offline despite the .net in it's name) While I was only drawing something simple, these are both tasks that pull a bit more on the graphics end of things so there's that

I have noticed a sound on boot from my pc now. Kind of a hiss? I thought maybe its my liquid cooling system, but now I am wondering if it isn't actually the death throws of my hard drive. I have windows on an ssd but my libraries and most of my programs on a larger hdd and I suspect that guys dying on me.

In my efforts to suss out the issue I have already run a windows memory diagnostic which came up dry, and downloaded and ran OCCT though I am not entirely confident I did it right because I didn't see it say anything about the tests I ran. I'm COMFORTABLE with computers and would probably call myself sort of an "advanced user" but I'm no IT professional, so I turn t this lovely community for advice. For what it's worth, I did manage to write this entire post on the system in question and noticed no issues. Only had Chrome, OCCT, and windows settings open.

Config information to follow

Windows 10 Home ver:21h2

Amd Ryzen 7 3700X 8 core
MSI MPG X570 Edge Wifi
AMD X570 Chipset
Bios 1.70
Row 2 & Row 3 each have a 16 GB PC4-25600 Corsair stick of ram
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming x
st2000dm008 Main Storage
wdbrpg5000anc Disk C and recovery partitions
Corsair cx600 psu
Post a screenshot for each disk using 'crystal disk info'.

It's configured the same as in the manual. The 2 & 3 were just what that OCCT software said.
If you would like to confirm, i uploaded the images to that same folder i linked earlier
Ok....I can't see much of the images so I'll take your word.

I think your behind with the bios so back to the mobo site and update if needed.

While your there update any other drivers as needed.

Osomara

Honorable
Sep 2, 2016
Ok....I can't see much of the images so I'll take your word.

I think your behind with the bios so back to the mobo site and update if needed.

While your there update any other drivers as needed.
I....have never done a bios update. I kinda got the impression those are a big deal

EDIT MSI has a walkthrough. Guess I'll get that handled

Last edited: