[SOLVED] Recent Upgrades, RX480 8Gb problems

Apr 3, 2021
www.twitch.tv
Hey guys,

I recently upgraded my CPU, Mobo, Ram, and SDDs I could not afford to upgrade my GPU. Problem I am having is now with the new parts when I try to load a game, at default and over clock speeds my video crashes, displays go to a "No Signal" screen and I have to hard boot my PC. The only way I have found to get by is to Underclock the GPU's Max Frequency to -30%. Even running a benchmark program crashes the video. I have checked the new RAM there are no errors I have checked the CPU no errors, I have Physically removed the GPU and plugged it back in making sure it is seated properly and all power connections are secure. The Temps of the GPU are in great areas at between 43c and not higher than 70c. I have Uninstalled and Reinstalled the drivers and chipset drivers multiple times, both the quick way and using the AMD Clean Utility way. nothing seems to work. Is there any way I can fix this card or is it on its way to the recycling bin?

SPECS:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX II
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32Gb 3600
SSD/HDD: Western Digital Blue 500Gb SSD, Western Digital Blue 2Tb M.2, Seagate 2Tb HDD 7200rpm
GPU: MSI RX480 8Gb
PSU: Corsair RM850x Gold
Temps: CPU: 40c / GPU: 43c - 70c

Last edited:
Solution
This can be marked as "SOLVED".......... Fixed my GPU it turns out it WAS a heating issue I disassembled the GPU cleaned off the old Thermal Paste with Iso Alcohol and a coffee filter :D and put a THICK coat of new paste on it covering it fully corner to corner then put it all back together ... Ran my benchmarks and tests got into the games causing me trouble and works like a dream....... Thank you to all who helped me painstakingly troubleshoot the issues... You guys are AWESOME! :D
Apr 3, 2021
www.twitch.tv
You might have to get the cheapest video card you can like a used nvidia 710 to see if it's a cpu/mb problem or a gpu problem.

It's entirely possible the gpu had a small smd knocked off or knocked loose when you pulled it. Or there was electro static discharge.
So I tossed a GTX 960 2Gb in the case (YUCK) and the UserBenchmark Program ran just fine no Problems where as with the RX480 8Gb I would get the "No Signal" crash every time it got to the Spinning Brick Coin. So i Dont think it is the MoBo, CPU OR the PSU seeing as it is plugged into the same slot using the same power plug and PSU.
Proof I checked with a 960: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/41700477

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021
www.twitch.tv
wait thats apparently not broke so thats not the problem I looked it up two pins on every card one on the front and one on the back are intentionally shorter thats a bit of a relief but not clue why the GPU is not working then still RX480 NewEgg looking at the pins on each side of the card at that site the short pins match mine so they are not broken

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021
www.twitch.tv
So I DDU uninstalled the Nvidia Driver and reinstalled the AMD GPU and Drivers made sure the power connectors are fully plugged in and it is seated properly and ran the UserBenchmark test and again crashed during the Video Card test this time during the first segment. Over clocking wont work i know that the only thing that works is underclocking the Max Frequencies to -30% still wont make it through the benchmark though

InvalidError

Titan
A friend says to update the MoBo Bios but I am not sure that would work since the GTX 960 worked fine without doing that
It is possible that you have a stability or compatibility issue that shows up with the RX480 but not GTX960, so there is a non-zero chance that a BIOS could fix it especially if you haven't bothered to update BIOS in a long time if ever since it took AMD several months to fix the 3000-series' teething issues.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Apr 3, 2021
www.twitch.tv
This can be marked as "SOLVED".......... Fixed my GPU it turns out it WAS a heating issue I disassembled the GPU cleaned off the old Thermal Paste with Iso Alcohol and a coffee filter :D and put a THICK coat of new paste on it covering it fully corner to corner then put it all back together ... Ran my benchmarks and tests got into the games causing me trouble and works like a dream....... Thank you to all who helped me painstakingly troubleshoot the issues... You guys are AWESOME! :D

Solution