Question Recently bought a 9700k and my load temp is quite high.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Slayer418

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
So yeah as the title says, my 9700k, running on 4.6 Ghz clock@1.15 and cooled by a Corsair H50 with Arctic Silver paste (pea method) is reaching a temp that I don't think is normal. At idle I get around 50c and while playing a few hours of PUBG, my HWINFO Alert triggers a few time notifying me about temp hitting 85c.

Does that seem normal to you guys?

Last edited:

Slayer418

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
I think 9700k doesn't use VCCIN because I don't have it showing up anywhere:
4ljWRgA.png

Also, I don't update Windows anymore, I'm still on 1809. All I want is to have the best gaming performance and I had gotten it. So unless people start praising a newer version of Windows for its increased gaming perf, I don't think I'm gonna upgrade anytime soon.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The cpu does have VCCIN, but it's combined with Vcore on your cpu. They're separated on mine.

Leave it at LLC 4 or 5, and experiment with lower vcore settings.

Do you run an AC in your room? If not, 41C isn't terrible. The air inside the case will always be warmer in idle than the air in the actual room.
My room's currently 26C and my PC is at idle at 38C.

Slayer418

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
Current room temp is 25C.

My CPU temp is fluctuating between 45-55C depending of the usage (5-15%, no games opened, only some processes that doesn't apply much load).

EDIT: After playing PUBG for 1h, CPU Cores temp never went above 85C but most of the time was lower than that, average being 70C. CPU Package went up to 87C once but average was also 70C.

Anyway, I ordered a Noctua NH-D15S, I hope it's gonna make a nice difference, if it fits in which I read it should since it's slim version of the D15.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Multicore enhancement isn't enabled, you've remounted the cooler more than a few times - even had to correct the fan orientation, because warm air was being blown back into the case.
LLC at medium, and you're not using any unreasonable amount of voltage(below 1.35v).

I'd say it's your case cooling - and the cooler still. It's not the worst option out there, but still not too good for what's essentially a 9900k without hyperthreading, and that one needs a 360mm or 280mm AIO.
The case fans haven't really been covered, are they still running ok? No dust on the blades, or dusty fan filters/grilles?

Slayer418

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
Noctua installed, the temp diff is pretty huge, under load it was staying at around 50C with a not even good airflow. Yes you read it right, I realized something, my airflow was ok before and that is because some of my fans are spinning counter-clockwise (I got 1 120mm Cougar Vortex , the 200mm are Thermaltake ones and the CPU is 140mm Noctua ones) and I had forgotten that so at the moment, my top , CPU and back fans are all actually pulling air in and I'm still getting a huge temp improvement regardless LOL.

I'm gonna fix the airflow when I get back from work.

Last edited: