Question Recently overclocked my CPU, but when idle the speeds keep constantly fluctuating.

josegreco100

Reputable
Mar 10, 2018
Hi everyonye! I´ve recently overclocked my cpu to 5GHz, and I´m having this problem:
When the PC is idle (or doing small stuff, like navigating on browser, etc), the core multiplier keeps constantly changing, so the core speed constantly changes. From 0.9GHz, then 2.0GHz, then 3.2GHz, then back to 1.3GHz, and so on.
When I load the CPU, for instance with a heavy game (call of duty warzone), the speed goes steady to 4.8GHz (I have AVX offset set to 2, that is why I think).
Can this idle problem (is it a problem?) be solved?

Thanks!

josegreco100

Reputable
Mar 10, 2018
so you don't want it to idle?
It seems that the cause is related to the power saving options. When it is set to high performance, the processor is constantly at 3.5GHz (but considers this to be 97% of cpu usage, so when I run a load to it , it is still at 3.5Ghz. Basically it does not overclock to 5GHz when under load)
However, when i select balanced power options, the mentioned behaviour occurs. At idle, the speeds are all over the place, constantly ranging from 0.8GHz to 4Ghz. But on this power option, when i put a load, the overclock occurs and the speeds go up to 5Ghz.