[SOLVED] Recently RMA’d Asus ROG CH7 started acting up already.

tristandubois2002

Prominent
Nov 19, 2018
Basically I had to RMA my MOBO because as soon as my PC booted up, the GPU fans were really loud, and the PC wouldn’t post. Also, the Q-Code LED kept changing between RAM, CPU and GPU issues.

I got the new MOBO about 1-1/2 months ago and it worked fine. About a week ago, the same issue happened. I swapped my 2080S for a 2070 I had laying around and it worked for a bit, but one morning, I powered on my PC and a litteral flame and some smoke came out of the GPU. I instantly turned it off and after some time I took the GPU out to see if any of the capacitors had blown up, and to my surprise, none of them had. So, I decided to change the PSU. I bought a new one and it came in today, and after swapping every cable and putting my 2080S back in the build, the PC still didn’t post. Only this time, the Q-Code LED only indicates that it is a GPU issue. Also, the Q-Code that is shown is 02, and the BOOT LED is turned on. I tried removing my GPU and booting the computer without it but the same Q-Code appeared which I think is pretty odd.

I also tried changing the PCIe slot the GPU was in, clearing the CMOS with the button and by removing the battery. Would my best bet be to contact ASUS to RMA the board againg or do you guys think my motherboard is not the issue?

Solution
see the pcie slot carefully... to check whether the pcie slot has burnout damages from the short... try the gpu in a different system to check whether its working or not... I think ur mobo is dead...

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
If your CPU has onboard graphics (see any intel or AMD with G at the end), you may want to try booting with no GPU installed and see if it posts. If not, it's a motherboard issue. If it does boot up like that, it's probably a GPU or PCIe problem.