[SOLVED] Recently updated Windows 10 and noticed app and browser control turned off. Virus?

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
My desktop background also disappeared and became plain black. Clicking exploit protection and program settings gave me a list of programs with 1 system override each unless otherwise noted.
ExtExport.exe
Ie4uinit.exe
Ieinstal.exe
Ielowutil.exe
IeUnatt.exe
Iexplore.exe
MiracastView.exe
Mscorsvw.exe
Msfeedssynce.exe
Mshta.exe
Ngen.exe
Ngentask.exe
Presentationhost.exe (6 overrides)
Printdialog.exe
PrintIsolationHost.exe 0 overrides
Runtimebroker.exe
Splwow64.exe 0 overrides
Spoolsv.exe 0 overrides
Systemsettings.exe

Do any of these overrides indicate a virus or Trojan on my PC? I ran multiple full scans the last few weeks and offline scans in defender with no virus turning up. I did just update to a newer version a couple days ago, though. Same with Malwarebytes full scans for root kits on multiple drives.

Last edited:
Solution
I had two internal drives installed, one ssd and one hdd. Clicked delete during Windows 10 installation and then format. Prior to doing the reinstallation, I also did a quick format of the hdd. Also had an external drive (for backups) infected which I used quick format on after defender removed the Trojan and reinstalled Windows again. Haven't had any viruses or Trojans detected in the weeks since, but app and browser control turned off after the last major windows update so I turned it back on.
This is a new OS install as of a couple days ago?
I suggest just starting over. Redo the install.

This time with ONLY the SSD connected.

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
I did sfc scannow and it said there were no integrity violations. Should I still do dism? I've never tried it before, and I had to delete my drives and reinstall Windows 10 after viruses and Trojans a month ago. Not sure if there is a risk of those returning after dism.

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
Does that mean, you deleted all your partitions?
Were any other drives connected during the install?

I had two internal drives installed, one ssd and one hdd. Clicked delete during Windows 10 installation and then format. Prior to doing the reinstallation, I also did a quick format of the hdd. Also had an external drive (for backups) infected which I used quick format on after defender removed the Trojan and reinstalled Windows again. Haven't had any viruses or Trojans detected in the weeks since, but app and browser control turned off after the last major windows update so I turned it back on.

Johnwmel

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
Should I still do dism?

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image
Is Windows 10 giving you a headache? In this guide, we'll show you how to repair the Windows image to allow the System File Checker (SFC) to fix the installation.
DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html
Using DISM and SFC in Windows 10 to Repair System Files
Repairing Corrupted Windows System Files with SFC and DISM Commands
How to Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/82643-clean-up-component-store-winsxs-folder-windows-10-a.html
How to Analyze Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/82638-analyze-component-store-winsxs-folder-windows-10-a.html

USAFRet

Titan

Solution

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

It's been a few weeks since I did a clean install. So you think there could still be a virus then even though full scan shows no threats?

Johnwmel

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
Last edited: