Recomend Minimum PSU for my build

Minura75

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
Hey guys im building a low end computer to mostly play Browser 3d (unity) games and some modern titles like bf4 and Dayz on low settings with playable framerates. (Before you go ahead and start suggesting me with buy this buy that.....im sorry.....i know its not gonna perform brilliantly but im allready decided on the build). The only problem is that im not sure about the PSU. I tried the Cpu wattage calculator things online, it said a minimum of 273W is used for this build. Im not entirely sure about this calculation. So please suggest a correct wattage for my build.
Heres the build.

Processor - Pentium 4th gen g3220 3.0ghz
Vga - Hd7770 (Sapphire radeon r7 250x)
Mobo - Msi h81 - p33
Ram - 4Gb 1333mhz
Storage - Western digital 500gb 7200rpm

Please help me out guys. (i dont want an overkill Psu either guys)

EDIT- Oh and guys will a 300W power supply be enough for this?

Solution
That is just the amount of power it will use but here is the thing, no PSU is 100% efficient. A PSU will pull say 400W from the wall but if it is only 80% efficient it will put out at best 320W at 50% load, less at higher loads. You do not need an insane overkill PSU but having more than you need is never a bad idea as it will put less stress on the PSU and as well make it last longer.

For what you have you can get away with a 400W PSU but I would say 500W should be the minimum you go for.

No 300W will not be enough. If the system pushed 273W under load a 300W PSU at 80% efficiency at 50% load will only output 240W and that is a best case scenario.
That is just the amount of power it will use but here is the thing, no PSU is 100% efficient. A PSU will pull say 400W from the wall but if it is only 80% efficient it will put out at best 320W at 50% load, less at higher loads. You do not need an insane overkill PSU but having more than you need is never a bad idea as it will put less stress on the PSU and as well make it last longer.

For what you have you can get away with a 400W PSU but I would say 500W should be the minimum you go for.

No 300W will not be enough. If the system pushed 273W under load a 300W PSU at 80% efficiency at 50% load will only output 240W and that is a best case scenario.

Solution

A 300 watt PSU is rated at its DC output! At 80% efficiency it will pull 375 watts AC from the wall but is guarantied to deliver 300watts to the components!

I did mix it up.

Either way it is never good to get a PSU that is just what you need as it will run at higher loads pushing more heat and will burn out faster.

That I can agree with.