[SOLVED] Recomendation for Mesh WiFi 6

Jul 4, 2020
I purchased a Netgear MK60 Mesh WiFi 6 router/satellite and have had nothing but problems. (Constant disconnects of all wireless devices.) In reading the Netgear boards, it seems to be a common problem. Mu case has been escalated, but this has been going on for over a month with no resolution.

I am looking for a Mesh WiFi 6 system for about 3,000 sqft. I just want something that the works.

What do people recommend?

Solution
I would not be surprised if they all had issues like that. The main issues with mesh are made even worse with wifi6. Mesh so called advantage over repeater is that uses a different radio to talk between the main router and the end device. Unless it has extra dedicated radio chips which is very rare it will have the choice of using 2.4g to talk to the main router and limit your speed to 802.11n that fits in the 2.4g or it runs as a simple repeater and uses the 5g radio chip to talk to the main router and the end users. It will suffer from the same massive speed reduction simple repeaters do.

Even if it would have extra radio chips to do the back haul to the main router there is no bandwidth. 802.11ax uses all the...

kanewolf

Titan
I purchased a Netgear MK60 Mesh WiFi 6 router/satellite and have had nothing but problems. (Constant disconnects of all wireless devices.) In reading the Netgear boards, it seems to be a common problem. Mu case has been escalated, but this has been going on for over a month with no resolution.

I am looking for a Mesh WiFi 6 system for about 3,000 sqft. I just want something that the works.

What do people recommend?
I recommend not using mesh. Pay to have ethernet cable installed and use quality WIFI access points with wired backhaul. That is what will provide quality WIFI coverage. Next would be MoCA with WIFI access points.

I would not be surprised if they all had issues like that. The main issues with mesh are made even worse with wifi6. Mesh so called advantage over repeater is that uses a different radio to talk between the main router and the end device. Unless it has extra dedicated radio chips which is very rare it will have the choice of using 2.4g to talk to the main router and limit your speed to 802.11n that fits in the 2.4g or it runs as a simple repeater and uses the 5g radio chip to talk to the main router and the end users. It will suffer from the same massive speed reduction simple repeaters do.

Even if it would have extra radio chips to do the back haul to the main router there is no bandwidth. 802.11ax uses all the available bandwidth so the signals from the 2 radios band would interfere. Maybe not as bad as actually running as a repeater and using the same radio chip. This was somewhat a issues in 802.11ac but because it only uses 80mhz of bandwidth you could fit 2 signals in the 190mhz of bandwidth in the 5g range in most countries.

This of course is ignoring the most common cause for the disconnects interference from the neighbors. It is impossible to use 802.11ax and not interfere.

I don't know if it matter a lot on the brand. There are very few chipsets on the market. Most stuff is now using the same broadcom chipset. The radio function is within the firmware of the chips not in firmware of the router manufacture so they likely will perform the same. 802.11ax is still very new software wise so you will see lots more issues.

Solution