mraroid

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
Hello folks...

I am looking for recommendations for cloning between two M.2 hard drives under Windows 10. I will pass on the free software for now. I am two days behind getting this laptop out the door. So I want to buy something that will work out of the box with little to no headaches. And even better if I can buy it and download it as I needed this done two days ago.

Here is what I am dealing with...

I have been using Samsung SS drives for quite some time now. But I am having a problem with Samsung's cloning software seeing my NADA 860 EVO SATA M.2 drive in two diffrent M.2 USB enc losers. I have been trying to do something simple for the last two days and I am not getting anywhere.

The Windows 10 machine I am working on (HP EliteBook Revolve 810 G2) is 10 years old. The BIOS was updated to the latest version which came out in 2020. This laptop has a 1500 MB M.2 SS drive in it. When I looked in the BIOS, it said it was set up to support 6 GBs, and the SATA device mode was AHCI (and I do not know what AHCI is to tell you the truth).

I have bought two diffrent M.2 SATA USB 3.0 external enc losers. After formatting the Samsung 860 in another Windows 10 machine, I made the one partition active. In one of the M.2 enc losers the Samsung software only saw the name of the people that made the external en closer, but did not see the drive. In a new M.2 SATA USB 3.0 enclosure I just bought an hour ago, it saw a drive, and the size of the drive (after formatting) was correct, but the Samsung software said it did recognize the drive - It called it "unknown".

If others on this forum have used the free Samsung software before, you already know that in the past, Samsung had two free software packages - one package for cloning and another provisioning package called Samsung Magician. Now, the cloning and provisioning package are combined in the latest Samsung Magician software.

So, suggestions welcomed! I do not mind paying a bit more money for cloning software that may be more sure fire to work, then a low cost cloning package that I may have issues with.

Thanks in advance,

mraroid

Hello folks...

I am looking for recommendations for cloning between two M.2 hard drives under Windows 10. I will pass on the free software for now. I am two days behind getting this laptop out the door. So I want to buy something that will work out of the box with little to no headaches. And even better if I can buy it and download it as I needed this done two days ago.

I have been using Samsung SS drives for quite some time now. But I am having a problem with Samsung's cloning software seeing my NADA 860 EVO SATA M.2 drive in two diffrent M.2 USB enc losers. I have been trying to do something simple for the last two days and I am not getting anywhere.

The Windows 10 machine I am working on (HP EliteBook Revolve 810 G2) is 10 years old. The BIOS was updated to the latest version which came out in 2020. This laptop has a 1500 MB M.2 SS drive in it. When I looked in the BIOS, it said it was set up to support 6 GBs, and the SATA device mode was AHCI (and I do not know what AHCI is to tell you the truth).

I have bought two diffrent M.2 SATA USB 3.0 external enc losers. After formatting the Samsung 860 in another Windows 10 machine, I made the one partition active. In one of the M.2 enc losers the Samsung software only saw the name of the people that made the external en closer, but did not see the drive. In a new M.2 SATA USB 3.0 enclosure I just bought an hour ago, it saw a drive, and the size of the drive (after formatting) was correct, but the Samsung software said it did recognize the drive - It called it "unknown".

If others on this forum have used the free Samsung software before, you already know that in the past, Samsung had two free software packages - one package for cloning and another provisioning package called Samsung Magician. Now, the cloning and provisioning package are combined in the latest Samsung Magician software.

So, suggestions welcomed! I do not mind paying a bit more money for cloning software that may be more sure fire to work, then a low cost cloning package that I may have issues with.

Thanks in advance,

mraroid
Give macrium reflect a test drive.

USAFRet

Titan
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Both drives must be the same partitioning scheme, either MBR or GPT
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Magician, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

[Ignore this section if using the SDM. It does this automatically]
If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing
[/end ignore]

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD. This is not optional.
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

USAFRet

Titan
If your system has only one drive port for the relevant drive, thi:

1x m.2 slot with an Image

Assuming you have another drive with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
4. When done, power OFF.
5. Swap the 2 drives
6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
7. Restore (on the toolbar), and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
9. That's all...this should work.

Reactions: TerryLaze
Jun 30, 2024
Hello folks...

Thanks in advance,

mraroid
- think you may need another interim step - vhd - iso - exfat file format - to support large file sizes

I am having a problem with Samsung's cloning software seeing my NADA 860 EVO SATA M.2 drive in two diffrent M.2 USB enc losers.
NADA 860 EVO SATA M.2 ? What manufacturer product is that?
Samsung Data Migration will work with Samsung drives only.
In a new M.2 SATA USB 3.0 enclosure I just bought an hour ago, it saw a drive, and the size of the drive (after formatting) was correct, but the Samsung software said it did recognize the drive - It called it "unknown".
A drive in USB adapter will not be necessary identified as Samsung drive.
Samsung Data Migration will therefore refuse to work with it.

Use any other cloning software.
Macrium Reflect free
Minitool Partition wizard free

If your system has only one drive port for the relevant drive, thi:

1x m.2 slot with an Image

Assuming you have another drive with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
4. When done, power OFF.
5. Swap the 2 drives
6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
7. Restore (on the toolbar), and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
9. That's all...this should work.
This!
Usb will only give you trouble when trying to clone, do images and it will be fine.

mraroid

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
NADA 860 EVO SATA M.2 ? What manufacturer product is that?
Samsung Data Migration will work with Samsung drives only.

A drive in USB adapter will not be necessary identified as Samsung drive.
Samsung Data Migration will therefore refuse to work with it.

Use any other cloning software.
Macrium Reflect free
Minitool Partition wizard free
Hi. Thank you for your post and information. The NADA 860 EVO SATA M.2 is a Samsung drive. I am still reading all the posts here so I can figure out what to do. Thank you for your help.
mraroid

mraroid

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
Another great option is Disk Genius FREE Edition: Migrate Windows OS Feature
https://www.diskgenius.com/free.php
View: https://youtu.be/K5naSG3Tki0
Hello Dark.... Wow! This free software worked perfect! I have been screwing around for two full days trying to clone a drive to an older laptop. This software worked without a hitch. I installed it, watched the video you posted, and then started the cloning. After it said all was done, I installed the new drive (which was in a M.2 USB 3.0 external box) plugged it into the laptop and it all was perfect. I used the Samsung software to update the firmware on the new drive I had just cloned.

Well, I am a believer in free cloning software now. Many thanks! Next time you are in Oregon, beers are on me! Can't thank you enough,
Best,
mraroid